Civil War - SU Style

evans_usmc69

Wayne and I decided to settle the score once and for all to see who was the true big bass champ on the east coast. I have wanted a title shot at the big bass champion since he won the belt last November, so here was my chance. I was pumped to say the least! This was going to be some Union vs Confederate type ish and we both knew it from the get go!

Starts out really slow on some good areas so we move around to some places we had never fished. I put the first one in the boat on a crazy bite!! Fish hits the bait near cover, I swing, miss, reel the bait back to the boat and sit down to pout. I look down and low and behold, the fish is right behind the bait just looking at it. A couple of twitches towards the front of the boat, quick on the button to let some line out, she eats it and starts swimming away.....hook set and in the boat with almost no fight to her at all. I still can't believe it actually happened, but it most definitely did. By far the coolest bite I have ever had, especially for a 7 pounder! I've thrown the first punch at the champ and now it's time to see how good he really is!

We fish around to this little cove and Wayne throws next to some cover and one just destroys his bait right next to it. Wayne swings and misses..... so close and I'm still not sure how she didn't get hooked up good, but the score is still 1-0 for me. We fish on a little bit more as the wind picks up. Wayne picks the perfect angle and that quick, Wayne has one on with another one trying to bite his bait. I try and get the one with it, but it swims away and I net his fish....1-1 now. No wonder he's the champ!

We idle back into this killer cove with a little island in it. I throw to the left of it way too close and the bait hangs up in inches of water on some rocks. I start pumping the rod to try and free the bait and simultaneously I hear Wayne saying that's a fish as I feel the head shake. Fish on! Get it to the boat and an expert net job makes it 2-1 me again. 2 fish in crazy fashion, but 2 fish in the boat for me nonetheless.

Next up we go hit some trees laying down on a bank and we pick every single one of them apart. Each cast is a possible DD it feels like. I make a perfect cast in the middle of 2 trees crossed and reel in my bait anticipating a strike and I feel the boat just rock like we crashed into a wall....yep, the champ has tied it up again. It scared the hell out of both of us but I net it easily and once again, it's tied up 2-2...... this guy.

#5 was not easy, not even close to easy. I even give up and sit down to eat a sandwich and catch my breath. I tell Wayne I give up, take the belt, it's yours champ but just get us number 5. But cast after cast with no action has us both ready to submit. We decide to go back into that first cove again to try for that fish Wayne missed or maybe some others that have moved into the area. We ease into the cove, cast, cast, cast, nothing. I'm ready to take the tie and go home and maybe Wayne is too, but the game is not over yet! On the last cast, what could very possibly be the same fish that he missed the first time, absolutely destroys his bait. I couldn't of dumped that fish from the net if I wanted to it was so well hooked....3-2, game over in overtime.

Wayne, you're the champ man. No doubt about it, take that big bass title belt and wear it around your waist with pride. But next time.....I'm coming back hard. The south will rise again!!!

post-18296-0-57664400-1460423402_thumb.jpg