talk to me about swimbaits and dirty water color

kscatman76

Here in Kansas I was having success trying swimbaits for the first time in fairly clear water for us.  It's not Caly clear by any means.  Now we've had a bunch of rain and I'm looking at stained to muddy water.  Anywhere I go will have some color to it now at least.  How do swimbaits do in that situation?  I've been throwing the Hudd 68 which has a somewhat subtle tail movement in my opinion.  Since the water has color to stain now should I throw something with a bigger paddle type tail to move more water?  I have some Smashtech Convicts which seem to thump a lot more would this be a better option or am I completely done till I can find clear water?  any tips appreciated!

thanks in advance,

travis

It will help if you define clear and "stained". Everyone has different definitions depending on where they grew up and what they fish. Is muddy to you 2 inches of clarity or 3 feet?

I don't throw soft body much, but you are thinking like lots of people do --> more thump.

I have caught fish in less than 2 foot clarity on glide baits, but everything else was right

Hudd 68 has plenty of thump for dirty water or night time fishing.   Move to a boot tail if you like.  Its all about preferences.  Mattlures hardgill has a lot of thump too, almost feels like a chatterbait.   the spro BBZ has a one knocker in its tail.  Any wake that knocks.  Like a slammer or rat.

A lot of the time for me, Im trying to throw a bait that I can put in the cover, cause when the water dirties up the fish tend to hold really tight to that stuff.  So a weedless hudd, or Trashfish would be something I would go to.

Black Small Rising Son & Wake Jr.

+1. Rising sons have always been good to me in dirty water. I've been fishing the WRS in extremely dirty water (1-2in visibility max) almost exclusively this spring and they've been getting crushed ever since the water temps ticked over 40. 

Fish will hold tighter to cover and structure in low vis water. I kinda prefer it, you don't need crazy vibration to elicit a strike, but it never really hurts either. I prefer dark baits for stained water beyond 2' vis, especially on bright days, and lighter colored baits for windy-stained conditions. I've been having great success with a vibrating jig & 5" swimbait trailer lately on off color situations.