New pb

Mason

Been fishing a lake for a while with a ton of small threadfin in it. It's heavily pressured but I knew there were some big fish in it from talking to fisheries biologist about what they've shocked up. The lake got real low and stayed stained until this year when it reached full pool and cleared up considerably. I've caught several 5+ pound fish his year on the traditional stuff but I found a dead crappie floating with scales knocked off recently and realized what the big girls were eating. Built and painted a bait to match and took it out to test it. Made a few casts and got it tuned then cut it off before I got hung since I wasn't in my boat and didn't want to lose it. Tied on an Alabama rig, hooked and lost what felt to be a big fish the first cast. Ended up moving to a point that's been good for 1-2 bites. Got a couple more bites and landed one small one. Then I caught and weighed a 4lb 15 oz fish. They finally shut down so I picked up a jerkbait and lost a 2 on it real quick. It was paying off better than usual but I couldn't get any more love on the traditional stuff so I decided to see if there were any big fish hanging out there. Tied on the crappie bait and the first cast down the right edge of the point I have a small follower that acted like it wanted it but I believe saw me and spooked. Made another cast a few feet to the left and another small fish follows it in. Much less interested but still encouraging. Make a third cast and after about 15 feet my line stops. Before the thought "I'm hung up" can make a full lap around my head I feel the head shake and instantly realize I have a giant. She put up an intense fight but I was able to land her. A guy fishing near me ran over and took some pics and then it was time to weigh her. And of course my scales won't turn on. Batteries are dead even though they had worked 15 minutes before. I had more batteries in my truck but I wasn't willing to risk killing her just to get a weight. So I took a couple measurements and released her to fight another day. She was 28.75" long and 18.5 inches around.

post-18659-0-11481100-1462586052_thumb.png

post-18659-0-47192800-1462586072_thumb.jpeg