Reel suggestion

Froggin4fun

You cant go wrong with an abu c3 or c4. These things almost growl at you for trying to clean em...shimanos need luv, these classic abus need neglect imo....so my rig for matts dead twitch is a classic c3. No problem no worries.

post-20499-0-85714800-1463100986_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

I used c3s in the salt to throw mepps giant killers in the sugar bowl in southie boston for schoolie stripers up to 33 inches. They are inline spinnerbaits needing smooth retrieves to work a giant willow leaf blade...classic abus get no luv unless u r a pike or musky guy....

Edited by bigpoppabass

Weird. I read posts like this and it makes me think I don't fish nearly as hard as other guys. I've literally never had one single part fail or blow up on a Shimano. And I definitely don't get new/replacement reels all the time, in fact I'm still fishing curados, chronarchs, and calcuttas from the early 90s when the leftys first hit the scene, and they work awesome!

With that out of the way, I'd seriously suggest considering that it might be something you're doing, or not doing that might be the cause of these "blow ups". I'm not the biggest fan of the Cardiff, but I do have one, and it seems pretty durable, although it doest have a lot of plastic in key areas. And does lack bearings where bushings have been placed to save cost. I personally don't use aftermarket parts like bearings. I figure the highly paid engineers at Shimano probably did a good enough job designing the ones for their reels, you can always replace bushings with bearings for a low cost upgrade. I just don't like most round reels for use with heavy baits, can't seem to find the right fit for my thumb to control the spool. If you're set on switching reels though,, I'd highly suggest going with the curado 300/301, not the fanciest reel out there, but a solid smooth workhorse that's gonna give you years of reliability.