MattLures - Matt Rat

blckshirt98

I happened to get one of these in a trade,, I love the detail, but I cannot seem to get mine to swim correct,, I thought it was more to be like a wake style, but seems to want to crank down

Any advice? Or is it doing what it's designed, thank you

This is the description on the mattlures website.

The Mattlures rat or "Matt rat" is 12 1/2 inches long with the tail, and 6 inches long without the tail. It weighs a little over 2.5 ounces and comes in several different colors. The Matt rat is designed to wake and dive. Point your rod tip up and use a slower retrieve and the bait will make a big wake. Use a faster retrieve and the bait will dive a couple feet. The action of the rat is aggressive with a very noticeable thump. The body of the rats are not painted or cleared so scratches and teeth marks are hardly noticeable. The rats are equipped with rotating hook eyes and stainless steel Hardware.

i have a matt rat and have got 2 fish on it so far this year. would of loved to grab a white one. i tried to order on my phone it told me both times that i tried to order it was unsuccessful but i received 2 confirmation emails saying both orders went through.

I did a review on this bait a while back in the Members Reviews forum. I really like the versatility of being able to crank it or wake it as the situation calls for. I can wake it over a shallow weedbed and crank it down when I get to the edge, all on the same cast. A lot of the places I fish it have muskrats and beavers so the bass often see rodents swimming underwater. If you want a strictly surface rat there are a lot of baits to choose from.

I did a review on this bait a while back in the Members Reviews forum. I really like the versatility of being able to crank it or wake it as the situation calls for. I can wake it over a shallow weedbed and crank it down when I get to the edge, all on the same cast. A lot of the places I fish it have muskrats and beavers so the bass often see rodents swimming underwater. If you want a strictly surface rat there are a lot of baits to choose from.

I think it's more of a realism thing...Matt's rat looks great but a lot of them haven't been swimming very well on a slow topwater retrieve...it is versatile in the sense it wakes...ehh ok..but cab crank fairly well...I think it pays to have multiple..One to crank one to wake(with modified bill)..my opinion...the cl8 water vole is still my fav that does both well

With a new bill and angle help from Magic Man the rat will wake straight...this one doesn't crank down but wakes clean and doesn't run to one side...

you think you could post a video of the action with changing the lip. i was just thinking about doing this today.

I finally got around to throwing my Matt Rat and it runs really hard to the right....I mean, extremely hard.  The bill doesn't look mounted up nice and square. It is angled and slightly rotated toward the left if you're facing the rat.  I'd be interested in the bill replacement too otherwise I'm putting mine up for sale.  I do love the action of it swimming but not when it wont run true.  I tried to tune it by line tie similar to a crank bait and it helped it but only slightly. 

If anyone else is modding theirs I'd be interested to see.