Swimbaits for smallmouth?

Luke V.

I really want to catch my first smallie this year, and I would love for it to be on a swimbait. I really don't know where I'll be fishing, I am going to fish Isabella for largemouth and maybe try some FS shads near where the Kern empties into Isabella. It would be very helpful if anybody could offer any tips on what baits to use, as well as waters in California that hold smallies. Thanks guys.

There are some monster smallies in the Isabella. They are mostly known to come from the dam though that's where I would fish. And the lake is very heavily stocked with trout, so I would focus my baits in a trout pattern. Good luck and I hope you do good out there.

Oh and the wind gets really dangerous up there. Make sure if you are on a boat, to be fishing near your launch ramp by 12:30 at the latest. Whitecaps are very common there with the 12 'clock winds.

Smallmouth will hit bigger baits than most people think. Up here they are caught on some big baits. One of the first decent sized smallie I ever caught was walleye/crappie fishing with a small spinner over some sunken fish cribs. Got a 10 inch or so walleye up to the side of the boat and the smallie t-boned him and I got the smallie in with the walleye and spinner all inside his mouth. Hard to say how big he was because I was probably 10 or so.

They seem like they will go farther from cover to hit a bait I've had them come up out of pretty deep water to hit a top water bait. I've caught the most on a wake jr. and baby wakes but my single best smallie day was on a freestyle bass and hudd 68.

Matt Peters calls the 6 inch Triple Trout a smallmouth candy bar. I have no experience with them, but you could give it a shot.

That's only cuz Matt hasn't fished a 6"freestyle............... 8-)

Well it's a good thing I picked up a floater and SS in perch trout last release.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have pretty much every bait mentioned other than a live walleye and fs bass :lol: . Also, thanks for the advice on the wind, that will definitely change things up. Anybody know if you can rent a boat up there? And thanks I will try pyramid with these baits too, I kind of stayed away from pyramid because of stripers...those SOB's sound like they come out of a swimbait's bad dream...I've heard them reffered to as "striper demolition crews" :shock::lol:

Matt Peters calls the 6 inch Triple Trout a smallmouth candy bar. I have no experience with them, but you could give it a shot.

Heh, I haven't fished either one!

Heh, I haven't fished either one!

I have done pretty well on the FS shad for smallies but prefer the 6" triple trout for smallies. Just picked up a 6" FS trout and I know I am going to crush the smallies on that thing.

I still really want a 6" RD or 2-up. 6" seems to be the magic size for smallies and I prefer the action on a 3 peice lipless bait.