Hook straightening out

Lost a big fish today on the Bull Shad. As you can see in the photo it appears to have bent out one of my trebles. Throwing this bait on 25# silverthreas excalibur 10x, Okuma heavy guide select rod. Drag was set right but was slipping a little fighting fish.

I thought this Rod would have a soft enough tip for the trebles. I was throwing these on a heavy fiberglass crankbait rod raised to 2 ounces but the Rod was physically too heavy to fish all day comfortably (Fiberglass composite).

My question, upgrade hooks? Use different Rod?

I'm thinking of going to a 1/0 hook any suggestions.

Thanks

Sometime even when u have 3x hooks or the right rod and line hooks will bend. When they get hooks in a weird way on the face/gill plate its just a leverage thing. But def find a hook that you have on hand and change often. I havent used kvs but owner or quads are hard to beat

Sometime even when u have 3x hooks or the right rod and line hooks will bend. When they get hooks in a weird way on the face/gill plate its just a leverage thing. But def find a hook that you have on hand and change often. I havent used kvs but owner or quads are hard to beat

Kvd are Mustad..braid will straighten those out first hookset..hard time believing KVD uses those..but for sure I've straightened owners on braid too but very rarely

Remember though, Kevin is throwing much smaller/lighter baits 99% of the time, on setups that are light enough to keep from straightening out hooks. 

Unfortunate circumstances Dustin, it's happened to the best of em. Owners are definitely one of the sharpest outta the package, and usually the quickest to lose that needle like point, especially with their cutting point. Since a good friend turned me onto short shank Gami's, I've never looked back, been running same hooks on some baits all season now and after numerous fish still sticky sharp! 

But I'm also an anti -"lock the drag" guy, I always set mine with around 20% of the line rating for swimbaits and reaction baits. 

Theory with the kvds is they are wide so you are getting a bigger hook for its size. I like em on my pats and think they are cranking hooks, but would never use on big baits where a 2x strength is necessary imo. Those big baits add so much force on the hooksett too. Like slammers would never think of using a kvd on em.