Split Rings Sizes for Diff baits

WCswimbaiting

What split ring sizes do you throw on your baits like a Deps 250 or a hinkle shad etc, those big baits. I was looking to possibly buy some all around sized split rings for A) line ties, and B) for attaching the hooks to the baits (duh).  I wanted to replace some on my baits like the gantarel or a deps 250 but don't know what sizes they are. I currently have #5 owner hyper wire but on some of the big baits they seem tiny, any reccomendations?

thanks SU

• 4 years later...

If you are having issues with a pair of treble hooks tangling with each other on the cast, you may be able to solve the problem by changing the hook split rings to a smaller size (smaller diameter) which will keep them further apart from each other.  If you need to maximize this you can go with the Wolverine triple split rings which are super strong for the diameter (which is why a lot of musky guys use them).

• 1 month later...

I like to use Owner Hyper Wire #5's for almost everything, but i generally am using smaller hooks than normal. 

Think #5 & #6 are all around the best sizes. If the bait is huge, i may use #7 but thats usually the biggest i'll go.