10 Things You Didn't Know About the Seventeen

Gilbert

I'm not criticizing, because I don't know the details, but 4lbs off seemed like an extreme weight loss, eggs or not. Any possibility those are progeny, and not the OG 17er?

I could not follow the statement that fish at different weights was same fish by distinct marks above pectoral fin. Dottie marks it apparently had.

Thanks for all the thoughts.  In my opinion 4lbs isn't much for a fish of that size,  given the amount of trout she was consuming/consumed at that time and that she was most likely in her prime.   2.5 years of no trout and being caught in the middle of summer versus pre-spawn will also change the weight of the fish.  In my mind, I believe she is probably getting up there in years for a bass and getting close to the end of her life cycle.   

Figure female bass will carry ~10% of their body weight in eggs and consider this to be an "exceptional" genetic specimen, where maybe 15% was the case.

That alone is 2.61lbs of eggs. Throw in an 8" trout or two and 4lbs is easily a real fluctuation.