Maximizing line capacity

SpamEggsandRice

I wanted to throw this out for the people who use 200 sized reels for swimbaiting or any type of fishing really. When tossing these big baits we tend to use big line like 20lb and up. Sometimes you don't want to use your big 400 sized reel and would rather use your comfortable 200 sized reel instead. The problem is how much of that 25lb line you can put on there. That's the biggest issue I see. What I do is barrow the saltwater fishing idea by spooling with braid then have a 3ft leader of whatever pound line I need. On my Daiwa Ryoga and other smaller size reels I use 30lb braid as the backing and then use a 25lb 3ft. piece of fluoro/ mono. The knot I use is a double uni-knot and it has worked for me flawlessly. If the line did break it was never from the knot failing but the leader line itself. I figured if the saltwater guys can catch nice size saltwater fishing with 30lb. braid as a backing why can't I implement this into my freshwater game. Just my two cents.

I use a few Curado 200D s for everything under 6 oz. I also use 15 lb CXX, changed regularly. I've never felt underfunded or like I didn't have enough line. I also use 30 lb braid on a 3000 sized Pflueger and LDC custom MH spinning rod. Works great.

Personally I generally use straight mono or fluoro for swimbaits, but If you're going to go the braid-to-leader route, you might want to take a look at the FG knot.  It is a thinner knot than the double uni, Albright, Alberto, or any of the common leader knots.  The common knots have a double diameter of the leader which makes for a bulky knot.  The FG knot has a single stand of leader and the braid is sort of wrapped around it like the "Chinese Finger" trick.  Its not that easy to learn to tie.  You need to pay close attention to detail and its much better to tie it at home rather than on the water.  But it you do it correctly its stronger than the conventional knots and will not catch on small rod guides.  There are a bunch of internet videos out there showing how to tie it.  I've been using it for 7 or 8 years for a variety of freshwater and saltwater applications, and I'll tell you its great as long as you take the time to tie it properly.

I thought curado 301s were a godsend until I began making long casts with 20 lb copolymer. It was way too slow then...now I realize it was probably meant to be a braid reel. So I went to fluoro connection like you suggest....but Calcutta 301d does not have same issue and it is becoming my new fav.

Edited by bigpoppabass

30lb braid can snap on the cast if you're not super smooth.... 

Guys use light backing in saltwater usually aren't casting 10 oz baits or are matching their leaders more appropriately... 

I use 80lb backing on 50W reels and 50/65lb on my curado 300s, it's all about application. 

I suspect the salt 30 braid scenario is probably troll application. Capacity requirement, constant tension, I can see it working.

There was a time, like twenty years ago, I used to focus on minimal gear. But I learned some hard lessons along the way and don't play that anymore. Braid, since it can't stretch, is measured in impact strength. As a result, I've discovered it best to run drag more loose than other line options to help protect absorption. I can always then cinch down a bit and do. A shock leader helps, of course, but only so much as it can.

The scenario OP suggests is pushing boundary. Consider that even a 5lb fish can probably hit with combined force of 15lb. Weight, speed, body movement, it adds up and 30/25 doesn't offer much assistance to impact. For me, I'm most comfortable at roughly 2-1 ratio, 20/10, 30/15, 40/20, 50/25, etc. Even moving up to 40lb vs 30lb equates to 33.33% more assurance and that's big.

Personally I generally use straight mono or fluoro for swimbaits, but If you're going to go the braid-to-leader route, you might want to take a look at the FG knot.  It is a thinner knot than the double uni, Albright, Alberto, or any of the common leader knots.  The common knots have a double diameter of the leader which makes for a bulky knot.  The FG knot has a single stand of leader and the braid is sort of wrapped around it like the "Chinese Finger" trick.  Its not that easy to learn to tie.  You need to pay close attention to detail and its much better to tie it at home rather than on the water.  But it you do it correctly its stronger than the conventional knots and will not catch on small rod guides.  There are a bunch of internet videos out there showing how to tie it.  I've been using it for 7 or 8 years for a variety of freshwater and saltwater applications, and I'll tell you its great as long as you take the time to tie it properly.

And no drinking and tying when it comes to the FG. You're in for a rough morning if you do.

30 lb braid is pretty common around here for surfcasting with ~5 ounces. Catching up to 40 lb fish from shore on 80 yard casts. It's definitely possible. Baitcast is a little different but as long as you're a decent caster. As far as drag goes in most cases you should be setting you're drag to 1/4 -1/3 of you're line weight.

A little bit of insight from a guy that surf fishes. Both my spinning setups for the surf have 50lb braid tied to 6' of 40lb mono leader, To a 150lb TA clip... The way the op is describing "backing" is actually the mainline with a leader. 3-10' of a stretchier/clear line is pretty standard when using braid outside of bass fishing. For my surf stuff, most of what j throw is between 2-5oz, I put them out between 70-110yds and it's very easy to snap things off when it's not done correctly. On my swimbait setups I use straight 20lb mono- I use a standard size 7.1,1 ratio BPS pro qualifier and have never run into a capacity issue with it- you're only casting MAYBE100' if you're lucky with most Swimbaits. I have one heavier set up that pulls double duty on swimbaits and inshore saltwater that I recently switched to braid- I'm not a huge fan, because even 50lb braid can snap under 3-4 oz, which is why I got 80lb.

The leader is supposed to help the "shock" of the cast, so stretchier is better.

Whenever I use braid, I first cover the base of the spool with monofilament then use a uni/ Albright knot to connect the braid to avoid slippage- this is what I would refer to as backing. Electrical tape also works.