MS Slammer for stripers?

Mochtroid

I was thinking about picking up a few ms slammers to target stripers in trout stocked lakes.  I know that they are tried and true lmb baits but was unsure of their striper catching abilities.  Am I wrong to think they are good striper baits?  Also, if you do recommend them for stripers, have you found better success with the 2 or 3 piece slammers?

I think Slammer were made for stripers. With that said, I never had luck with them out here in the CA Delta. I do really well with walking type lures. Loud lures on choppy waters and wood when it's not so choppy.

They work. Absolutely they work. I know guys that throw them for Striper and catch big ones. Not to say there aren't other topwater baits that will work but a slammer will definitely work. A Striper is a predatory fish and they're big. Doesn't take much to figure out that they will eat a big top water bait. Remember, nothing "forces" a big fish to bite your bait. That's nonsense. A fish bites when it's hungry. If your bait looks good to the fish, and it's ready to eat, it'll eat. If your bait doesn't look good to the fish, it won't eat. Simple. A walking bait might look better or attract more attention than a wake bait at certain times but it doesn't "force" a fish to bite.

They work. Absolutely they work. I know guys that throw them for Striper and catch big ones. Not to say there aren't other topwater baits that will work but a slammer will definitely work. A Striper is a predatory fish and they're big. Doesn't take much to figure out that they will eat a big top water bait. Remember, nothing "forces" a big fish to bite your bait. That's nonsense. A fish bites when it's hungry. If your bait looks good to the fish, and it's ready to eat, it'll eat. If your bait doesn't look good to the fish, it won't eat. Simple. A walking bait might look better or attract more attention than a wake bait at certain times but it doesn't "force" a fish to bite.

I agree, but what I'm saying is that the fish follow the bait too often. I know thats what Bobby Barrack thinks, and I've found that to be the case on the Delta for sure.

Can't speak for throwing them on lakes, but on the delta they absolutely do work. I've had best results with a 7" single joint, dark rainbow, happened to be the color I had, but I'm confident any color will be fine. Waking or just under the surface works equally well at different times.