Clear coat

Dbyrne

I haven't back tracked too many posts but would like some input on finishing up some of my baits. I've been building some wooden rats and painting them. I've tried to finish them with automotive clear coat but that still seems to chip off and thus goes the paint. I have also tried epoxy but not sure I like the thickness of it. Got any suggestions. Here's one of the rats. post-23654-0-90638200-1483919506_thumb.png

I personally use epoxy so can't really help you, sorry. Yes, epoxy is thick and can be hard to work with...but even if it isn't the prettiest clear coat out there at least I know that it is strong and does the job well. Just a personal preference subject to change haha. Sweet rat by the way!

It's almost impossible to keep any bait away from hook rash. It doesn't matter what kind of clear is apply. Some may wear sooner than others. 

The plasticizers in soft baits will soften a lot of paints.  Epoxy is very chemically resistant to those chemicals, so a clear coat of epoxy gives you that protection.  I totally agree that some hook rash does not have much effect on your catch rate.

I'm doing some experiments with the Copic Marker Airbrush. It uses alcohol basic Copic markers to spray rather than paint. The advantage is no clean up between colors. The disadvantage is that it is alcohol based and any clear coat with acetone can remove the paint. I've settle on Devcon II that I spread on with epoxy brushes......the baits are coming out killer. And considering I lack any talent both in drawing or painting, what I've produced so far is down right impressive.

Sweet thanks guys. Yeah I've done a couple with the 30 min epoxy and it's alright. I really like the matte appearance but I guess sacrifice some look for durability.

What 30 min epoxy are you using?  I want a matte finish for my bait.  Thanks

What 30 min epoxy are you using?  I want a matte finish for my bait.  Thanks

right now I've just been using the 30 min from the hardware store (lowes, Home depot) but it definitely doesn't give it the matte look like id love. it does make it rock solid and can bounce it off rocks with no problem ha. i think if i can just perfect the thin coats of epoxy it'll be fine..guess ill have to build a bunch more rats

• 3 weeks later...