Confidence

Jetfisherjohn

As a beginner, not having more than a handleful of 2-3lb fish on plastic swimbaits with jigheads, and only 1 fish caught on a more complex swimbait last year, I haven't had the time to catch fish on multiple baits and build an overal confidence in one or two baits. I haven't caught a fish in 3 months now, with only 1 bite in that time. The weather has been crazy and we've had ice for a couple days then open water for a couple weeks. Back and fourth. I have been throwing mainly one bait and that being a jsj hitch six slow rolling it on the bottom. I have two 8" hudds in rainbow trout and ayu color but I don't throw them because I don't have the confidence that I'll get a bite. I've Been fishing a very proven spot to me, a pond, where I have caught many fish in the 4-7lb range and even knowing a 10 that was caught out of it. I throw my 8" bbz-1 floater but quickly put it away after 10-20 casts.

How do you guys keep your confidence up when in a dry spout? And are there any other baits you guys would be throwing or any outlook on things you can give advice in? Any help would be appreciated!

Dedication! Put your bait in the right spot at the right time. The 8" Huddleston is a proven bait for sure! I know guys that only fish them and nothing else. It's caught more Double Digits and teeners then any one other bait. Confidence is about knowing how your bait feels to your rod and reel in any circumstance and the only way to find that out yourself is putting the time out on the water.

I feel you, Johnny! I'm relatively new to the swimbait game as well and it can be tough grinding away with no fruit for your labor...especially when your having a hard time catching anything on conventional gear too!

At least for me, I find that I just have to force myself to stick to it. It's so easy to pick up a dropshot when the bite is tough because it's considered more of a numbers bait, but when you can't even score a fish on a "numbers bait" then it makes it even harder to pick up the swimbait again. So don't give in! Anticipate the next bite with every cast and think about how all those skunk days will make your next fish so much better!

On a more practical case, I would try scaling down bait size if you have to. Also aim to fish cloudy, heavily-overcast days if you can. I have no idea why, but I've had my best swimbait bites on these types of days in ultra clear water. And this was catching multiple fish in a few hours. Maybe it will work for you or maybe it won't...but when the weather gets rough I immediately think swimbait.

Keep at it man!

I am not a hardcore swimbait fisherman, and I may get blaster for this, but I think it is probably better to deviate from swimbaits if the situation calls for it, it'll make you a better swimbait fisherman along the way. If I am in a place with big forage- like trout, I will be throwing swimbaits, the whole day. But to completely dedicate ones self to fishing a bait that may simply not work is IMO, ridiculous.

The other day I was fishing a lake for Spots, Largies, and specifically striped bass (I ain't no black bass snob). The fish are chasing threadfin shads up into the backs of creeks. Now these threadfins are literally between 1-2 inches, and fish up to 30 pounds are just gorging themselves on on them. Sure I could have thrown a bull shad, or an S-waver, or a hudd, but if the fish aren't keyed in on a big forage, all you are doing is wasting your time. And missing fish- maybe big ones that would have eaten say, a fly. 

Swimbaits are a big fish bait, that's why I fish them, but if the big fish aren't eating things the size of swimbaits, you are joking yourself if you think throwing a big bait will magically produce big fish. That said, most lakes and ponds DO contain some kind of large forage, and large fish DO eat them. 

Keep throwing swimbaits, grind man, but don't wear yourself out to the point that you expect the skunk.  Have confidence, but derive that confidence from know-how, experience, and basing your technique off the conditions and situation.  

I feel you, Johnny! I'm relatively new to the swimbait game as well and it can be tough grinding away with no fruit for your labor...especially when your having a hard time catching anything on conventional gear too!

At least for me, I find that I just have to force myself to stick to it. It's so easy to pick up a dropshot when the bite is tough because it's considered more of a numbers bait, but when you can't even score a fish on a "numbers bait" then it makes it even harder to pick up the swimbait again. So don't give in! Anticipate the next bite with every cast and think about how all those skunk days will make your next fish so much better!

On a more practical case, I would try scaling down bait size if you have to. Also aim to fish cloudy, heavily-overcast days if you can. I have no idea why, but I've had my best swimbait bites on these types of days in ultra clear water. And this was catching multiple fish in a few hours. Maybe it will work for you or maybe it won't...but when the weather gets rough I immediately think swimbait.

Keep at it man!

I leave the conventional at home. Yea I could pick up a jig or a lipless or what have you but I want to get into that next class of fish a little easier. I guess I need to just keep hitting my main points that I know I have pulled big fish off of before. I work in a freezer environment of -10 degrees all day long, so I can grind it out in the coldest worst conditions better than most anyone. The weather is never an issue for me. I guess I just need that big fat girl to stop being selfish and eat my dinner that I give her!

Complicated equation.

Some people live and die on the big bait, and there is kind of this "badge of honor" (as your would expect on a swimbait forum) that you should grind it out no matter what.  Heck...thats even a catch phrase of big bait anglers ("keep on grinding").

Here's reality.

Yes, sticking to a large bait will provide a fair share of above average size fish.  Second truth:  Sticking to large baits and large baits only IS limiting your effectiveness. Its us as humans using the lure we want to instead of allowing the possibility that other, smaller lures may be the better option even for very large fish.

There is no better reference than Bill Murphy's "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" book.  As far as I know its still the gold standard for targeting large bass specifically. And in that book only a small portion is dedicated to larger lures.  Now, truth be told time doesn't stand still and if Bill Murphy was still with us I can envision him ammending or adding to that book once the big bait scene had taken off and the results started coming in.  Who can deny Mr. Swimbait-24/7 Butch Brown.  Watching his vid's will make anyone go for broke on big baits only.

Two years ago I dedicated myself 100% to big baits only.  Up to that point I had only caught a total of 2 fish over 5lbs in my whole life!  The year dedicated to big baits I saw 5 fish in the 5lb class and 3 in the 6lb class.  Same lakes, same amount of time fished as in the past.  Fast forward to the following year where I threw the big stuff about 80% of the time and ony caught 1 fish over 5lbs and 1 over 6lbs the whole year!!  My point is you never know.  Even some years will be better than others overall.  

Do your best to be a student of the water you fish.  You already know the size of fish you want in there, next analyze everything.  Experiment....record data...keep useful notes you can reference.  It takes time, but the people who go from crossing paths with a giant now and again and those who catch giants on the regular is not luck....its knowledge.  Keep trying different things big bait wise....even unconventional.  The fish are not bound by any rules of what they are "supposed" to do.  For instance, the Hudd is a fantastic lure, but as some point if you haven't gotten any bites on it then prosper from that data point and spend time with other things.  

Spend as much time as you can and make it a science....in time things start to come together.  At some point you may even "crack the code" of that particular body of water.

Good luck!

-Carl / Keepin'ItReel Fishing

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

I am not a hardcore swimbait fisherman, and I may get blaster for this, but I think it is probably better to deviate from swimbaits if the situation calls for it, it'll make you a better swimbait fisherman along the way. If I am in a place with big forage- like trout, I will be throwing swimbaits, the whole day. But to completely dedicate ones self to fishing a bait that may simply not work is IMO, ridiculous.

The other day I was fishing a lake for Spots, Largies, and specifically striped bass (I ain't no black bass snob). The fish are chasing threadfin shads up into the backs of creeks. Now these threadfins are literally between 1-2 inches, and fish up to 30 pounds are just gorging themselves on on them. Sure I could have thrown a bull shad, or an S-waver, or a hudd, but if the fish aren't keyed in on a big forage, all you are doing is wasting your time. And missing fish- maybe big ones that would have eaten say, a fly. 

Swimbaits are a big fish bait, that's why I fish them, but if the big fish aren't eating things the size of swimbaits, you are joking yourself if you think throwing a big bait will magically produce big fish. That said, most lakes and ponds DO contain some kind of large forage, and large fish DO eat them. 

Keep throwing swimbaits, grind man, but don't wear yourself out to the point that you expect the skunk.  Have confidence, but derive that confidence from know-how, experience, and basing your technique off the conditions and situation.

While I will not say your ideas are wrong, I somewhat agree to some aspect, but throwing swimbaits all day and grinding it out, there are those days that I have been fishing for hours and nothing and all of the sudden I get the only bite and it's a really good fish or a fish of a lifetime in some cases. So if I bring other techniques like cranking or fishing a worm just to catch a fish, I may have miss that window that I will actually get that 1 bite I have been waiting for. Also I have seen on here people catching the biggest fish on the last area they were going to fish that day. Those are my way of thinking and thats why I fish swimbaits all day. If I'm going to mix it up I will mix it up with swimbaits.

I hear you brother. At the end of the day it's all what you want to get out of it. I've been out many days in the past finesse fishing still getting skunked so I'd rather chuck the hudd all day for that one bite. I live in southern California and the lake I fish has giants just haven't stuck her yet. But I keep grinding cuz it's only a matter of time. I alway feel confident throwing the hudd Nov through April because of this baits reputation. This March will be 2 years now but patience, confidence and time on the water will pay off. It will be worth all the time spent when that teener hits the deck. So set your goal, pursue it, and never give up. That's what's it's all about. Blank, blank, blank, blank....Bang fish of a lifetime. Good luck out there guys

Complicated equation.

Some people live and die on the big bait, and there is kind of this "badge of honor" (as your would expect on a swimbait forum) that you should grind it out no matter what.  Heck...thats even a catch phrase of big bait anglers ("keep on grinding").

Here's reality.

Yes, sticking to a large bait will provide a fair share of above average size fish.  Second truth:  Sticking to large baits and large baits only IS limiting your effectiveness. Its us as humans using the lure we want to instead of allowing the possibility that other, smaller lures may be the better option even for very large fish.

There is no better reference than Bill Murphy's "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" book.  As far as I know its still the gold standard for targeting large bass specifically. And in that book only a small portion is dedicated to larger lures.  Now, truth be told time doesn't stand still and if Bill Murphy was still with us I can envision him ammending or adding to that book once the big bait scene had taken off and the results started coming in.  Who can deny Mr. Swimbait-24/7 Butch Brown.  Watching his vid's will make anyone go for broke on big baits only.

Two years ago I dedicated myself 100% to big baits only.  Up to that point I had only caught a total of 2 fish over 5lbs in my whole life!  The year dedicated to big baits I saw 5 fish in the 5lb class and 3 in the 6lb class.  Same lakes, same amount of time fished as in the past.  Fast forward to the following year where I threw the big stuff about 80% of the time and ony caught 1 fish over 5lbs and 1 over 6lbs the whole year!!  My point is you never know.  Even some years will be better than others overall.  

Do your best to be a student of the water you fish.  You already know the size of fish you want in there, next analyze everything.  Experiment....record data...keep useful notes you can reference.  It takes time, but the people who go from crossing paths with a giant now and again and those who catch giants on the regular is not luck....its knowledge.  Keep trying different things big bait wise....even unconventional.  The fish are not bound by any rules of what they are "supposed" to do.  For instance, the Hudd is a fantastic lure, but as some point if you haven't gotten any bites on it then prosper from that data point and spend time with other things.  

Spend as much time as you can and make it a science....in time things start to come together.  At some point you may even "crack the code" of that particular body of water.

Good luck!

-Carl / Keepin'ItReel Fishing

Omg keepin'itreelfishing commented on my post! Since I watch everything you post I completely understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I'm reading that book currently in my free time! I keep a log of time of day, weather, water, temp, barometric pressure, Sky conditions, bait used, location in the body of water and the size of the fish. But since Ive just started throwing swimbaits I haven't been able to put much of that data in the book, outside of he conventional gear logging. Maybe after I get a good year of solid swimbait fishing in the books, I will then turn my mindset to trophy hunting.

As for what you said about differentiating from the main baits... I myself like to try to find that diamond in the rough lure. The off brand if you will. If everyone is throwing a hudd and they have a slow bite but I come in throwing a jsj hitch six, that maybe the slightest change for them to munch on my bait compared to theirs! Thanks for the info!

Perhaps my original statement was too anti swimbait. Let me clear it up, if I think fish may be munching big baits, I am throwing them, but for real if you just consistently get skunked (and I mean like looong periods of time) throw conventional, catch some fish, they may just not be keying in on that presentation or size forage, don't fish something that doesn't work just for the heck of being a "hardcore" swim guy.

Pick a style you like and caught fish on with regular tackle then replace it with a swimbait that is similar.

Jig/worm use a Hudd 68

Jerkbait use a glide maybe a 168 sweaver

Crankbait use a freestyle type bait

Top water use a punker or rat

Try slowing down and working a small area that you have caught fish in.

You will get there........

I tell cats that are just starting out something that seems to work out. if you not into just going out and grinding the big baits till your arm falls off, keep some baits ready while you fish. Pick it up when you are fishing and tell your self, "man, there should be a big one right there". I prefer to just go grind and throw it all day to learn but some people have limited time on the water and I can understand not wanting to go blank on the few days a month you get to fish. I just seen a Chris Zaldain video where he says kinda the same thing. Throw those big baits on obvious cover. it has always held true for me. Example, a buddy of mine has a friend that told me he really would like to throw a Wade Hoggs gill wake of mine but has thrown swimmers in the past for hours and no results. he passed on the purchase but his GF bought him one for his Bday. He took it to clear lake for his birthday trip. I told him dont throw swimmers all day if you hate it, just pick it up when you start getting that feeling that its "right". he fished for a few days catching em on conventional, then he said the last day he found some fish feeding hard on gills and wanted that round profile. Tied on the wade hoggs... 10lb fish eats it. One hell of a way to get your first bite on big baits but just goes to show, maybe he could have thrown it all day and caught more, but he made a good choice and threw it when it was right and bam, caught a good one.  maybe this will help a bit

The key is getting the right rig and retrieve for your bait. It took me 6 months to get a slammer retrieve right and get bit when I first started. Another thing, I always say and still believe a one bite SB day is a good one. It is frustrating sometimes cuz somebody is always catching em somewhere.

The key is getting the right rig and retrieve for your bait. It took me 6 months to get a slammer retrieve right and get bit when I first started. Another thing, I always say and still believe a one bite SB day is a good one. It is frustrating sometimes cuz somebody is always catching em somewhere.

How do you retrieve your Slammers? I'm saying this because I fish a 7" Slammer for some hours on almost every trip and I get 1 bite a year or less! I've fished a Slammer for at least 5 years now.

Edited by mcaetano2905