Do you need a big reel to throw big baits?

floridaswimb8er

I've relied on 301 and 401 series Shimano round reel for throwing most of my baits for a long time. In truth, I've never really felt comfortable with them as I have with lower profile reels. I do throw a Curado 301 and that is better. I had an epiphany this week as I was out in the Gulf catching 10 and 15lb redfish on a Curado 51e that I used in place of my traditional Calcutta 201XT......that epiphany was, I could absolutely get it done with a smaller reel.

I picked up a couple of Citica 201 e's this week really cheap and intend to replace my Cardiffs. The difference to me is the line capacity and weight. With a Cardiff 301 able to spool 165yds or so of 20lb mono. I'm not sure I would need more than 80yrds of line. I think the Citica can give me that with the beneficial trade off being low profile design for personal comfort and lighter weight.

Any thoughts. I don't fish crystal clear lakes and really never make ultra long casts. I think the Cardiffs were unnecessary overkill in my own case.

Your gonn be putting a lot of stress on the reel also when you hook a swimbait fish you don't let them run you grind them in to the boat as fast as possible and those Rees are the best thing made for that why change what isn't broken

The whole putting a lot of stress on a low profile reel only applies to graphiteor plastic framed framed small reels. If a small reel has an aluminum or equally as strong frame then it's fine. The problem comes with graphite reels, same problem in saltwater. When you put a lot of pressure on a graphite/ plastic framed reel, it twists. When frames twist, gears go out of alignment and strip. Heavy drag pressure is also a problem on these reels, but more so spinning reels. Like you said line capacity does become an issue. Ipt can also be an issue when using higher pound test at lower capacities. Take a look over seas. Guys over there are throwing mothers on 200 sized reels like the revo bigshooter compact all the time and not having a problem.

Edited by MA Frog Man

I throw glides and 68's on my 201e ALL the time. I'm not big bait expert, but seems to get the job done just fine. You're right as for less line capacity, but we're not CHUCKIN' baits 60+ yards to begin with.

I dont mean to thread jack. Anyone know how much 25lb big game i can fit in a reel that has a 14/190 capacity?

I would like to downsize too

I think around 100 yards. I put 25# big game on my lexa 300 which has the 14/190 capacity

If line capacity isn't a concern then there are TONS of small reels out there that can handle the biggest of big baits just fine. Period. This is a misconception that will last until the end of time because of "line ratings" in my opinion.

Just like large reels though, you get what you pay for to an extent. If you think you're going to throw a 16 oz bait on a cheapo $60 low profile and have it last for years that's one thing... but if you're using quality gear you're going to be fine. From a mechanical standpoint, the internal component limits are easily designed off known drag capacities, key washers, keys, lock rings, etc and frankly the numbers just aren't that big... that said, if you have too much flex in a system then yes, that can lead to excessive wear but you're just not going to see that in practicality very often. As for other old wives tales like spool wall thickness, bearings, spool shafts, etc etc etc once you take apart some big reels and small reels from the same product line you realize in a hurry there's not a lot of magic (or smoke and mirrors) between the sizes. I'm not saying long term durability will be identical, just that functionally speaking, the differences are way overblown in my opinion.

"IF" you're the kind of person who can fish a big reel with almost no braking, then the lack of inertia and smaller braking capability associated with the smaller spools isn't as big of a factor in casting.

"IF" you're the kind of person who has brakes dialed up heavily and tension cranked even on a big reel, then you'll quickly find the small reels are a little wild and hard to control, they just don't physically have the same amount of braking available and spool inertia.

One of my favorite swimbait reels for big baits at the moment is actually a 2014 Conquest 100 believe it or not. It's an absolute joy to fish.

Sure u can do it if u braid em up. I think the trend towards bigger reels has to do with trend away from braid for alot of SBS. I have used smaller reels and for some reason the part that has broken often 3 times now is the spring that engages the thumbar. It takes alot of pressure when u stop casts with decent sized SBS.

Sure u can do it if u braid em up. I think the trend towards bigger reels has to do with trend away from braid for alot of SBS. I have used smaller reels and for some reason the part that has broken often 3 times now is the spring that engages the thumbar. It takes alot of pressure when u stop casts with decent sized SBS.

Using braid will really cut down on any reels durability due to the no stretch. The thumbar shouldn't be an issue because you shouldn't be stopping casts with you're handle.

Using braid will really cut down on any reels durability due to the no stretch. The thumbar shouldn't be an issue because you shouldn't be stopping casts with you're handle.

Isn't THAT the truth...

Insofar as braid reducing durability, an argument can be made for such to a point. You've got to run the drag loose to save the drivetrain. Roughly 1-2lbs beyond what it takes to not slip during cast is about right and serves as a safety net. Shock leader tends to assist hookup, of course, also adding a layer of safety.

Personally, I run the smallest reel I can get away with. Setup can be tricky, I agree, but it can be done. Couple months back I spent the day chucking roughly up to 6.5oz with a LIN. No problem. And it was fun.

One of my fav techniques in trout waters is a fast cast and thumbdown to stop bait and immediate crankdown. It sounds and looks like a feeding trout to me. It is a fun tactic with 9 inch 2x cranking slammer in windy conditions. I started with smaller reels for this tactic and springs went. Line is a braid to fluoro connection.

I went to almost all Curado 200Ds a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Regular cleaning and once a year service at DVT, and they work as good or better than new. 15-20lb CXX and baits from 1-6 oz, so nothing truly huge.