Northern Swimbaiting with Pike and Muskie?

bcraner

I am just starting to get into swimbaits, but where i live in Ohio we have a lot of muskie and pike. That makes me very wary to throw any bait over $20 when I could lose it to a toothy fish at any time. Does anyone have any tricks they use to prevent fish like this from just cutting thru their line? Thanks. 

I fish pike and muskie waters quite a bit in MN. If I'm targeting bass I use 30- 60# flouro with an fg knot from line to leader and SD jam to your snap. Crimps can damage the flouro if not done properly. The heavier the flouro the less action from the bait. If I'm targeting muskies I use 100 lb flouro. This is my opinion, and what works for me, only one way to find out if it works for you. Good luck and have fun!

I tie my own 100lb fluoro with as little hardware as possible to negate the effect of the leader on the lure, usually goes - Owner solid ring, crimp, 12-18" leader, crimp, #5 Decoy snap.

It tends to be less of an issue for me with generally faster moving baits like the Deps.

Hudds definitely get the leader as the fish really tend to get them back in the mouth and closer to your line.