Help Me Buy a Canoe SU

lux036

Looking to get a nice canoe for my small family. It will be me, my wife and my little baby girl. Preferred max length of 16ft. Looking to get something at $1,000 or less. Looking to use it to fish mainly and for use in small lakes and creeks. Would love it if the SU community can suggest some canoe brands/models I can look into. Even canoe gear suggestions would be appreciated.

One of my friends who is also a SU member rescued a guy last year.  He had fallen out of a conventional canoe and his 8 or 10 year-old son was still in the canoe and yelling for help.  This was early in the year, cold water, and the guy was losing his grip.  Fortunately Darrick was able to pull him to shallow water.  The Sportspal and Radisson canoes have foam bumpers along the sides that make them really stable although not the best looking or fastest watercraft.  But they are freaking safe!

I have a Gheenoe 13 ft. It is really stable. Not sure if it is big enough for 3. They do have other models all are square backed. You can take a look at their website Ghennoe.net. I don't know if you could find one in your area or not but they should be in your price range

I have a Gheenoe 13 ft. It is really stable. Not sure if it is big enough for 3. They do have other models all are square backed. You can take a look at their website Ghennoe.net. I don't know if you could find one in your area or not but they should be in your price range

I think that a 13ft gheenoe is a much better option, if you can find one in your area. I can easily fish 3 adults in mine, all sitting, or 2 adults standing and throwing swim-baits.

I have a trolling motor mounted to the back, and couldn't ask for a better vessel for small ponds and lakes. It is also much more stable than a comparable sized jon boat. I fly fish a ton, and we will have one guy in the back standing on a yeti, while another is in the front casting. The boat has only "flipped" once, when two guys that where standing (one guy 250+#, one guy 180#) both set the hook at the same time on the same side of the boat. the boat dumped them both out, and returned to it's upright position without a drop of water inside. 

Around here, 13ft gheenoes can go for under $1000 with a trolling motor and trailer. 

I have a 14' old town. 2 guys can stand no problem. It's 42 inches at the beam, which makes it really stable and it only drafts Maybe 2 inches. The only issue i have is weight, its really heavy for what it is. My fiancé and I can move it no problem, but for those solo trips I'd consider getting a set of wheels from LLbean or making a set yourself.

If you decide you want to spend more the Native Ultimate FX 15 Tandem is great. It's a cross between a canoe and kayak. It converts between solo and tandem in a few minutes and I can stand and fish no problem. We fit me, my wife, and our 3 kids in it last summer without an issue. I like it so much that I'll be buying a pedal propelled Native for my next kayak. :)