LDC xh 8'6" white label vs. Dobyns 867

Morph808

I need help with a decision. I have a TW gift card worth $200 and I need a good rod to toss a Deps 250 and other 5 to 7 oz treble baits. Should I use it to get a Dobyns 867 or save for an LDC White Label 8'6" XH? Thanks (new to this SB thing)!

Thanks for the feedback so far. I saw that the LDC Xh White label is back in stock as of now, but that plus shipping comes out to $350. I did look at the MOAM FOF Psycho but that is sold out.

Anyone has the Dobyns Champ XP 867? Wanted to know if the guide durability is no longer an issue.

Both are excellent rods. I have not owned a white label, but I did get to use one of Ceaser's last month, can't remember which one honestly, but it fished very similar to my older LDCs.

I had nothing but LDCs and an 867 up until last year, now I own zero LDCs and all Dobyns. Nothing against Ben or his rods, Ben is a great guy and his rods are awesome, it's just personal preference. I went on a week long trip last year and during that trip I found myself reaching for my 867 and tying on which bait I wanted to use instead of using the LDC that already had the bait tied on. Dobyns just feels better to me in the end. The skinnier rod fits in my hands better and even though I haven't weighed them to compare, the dobyns feels lighter to me. More comfortable and less weight equals longer days on the water without fatigue. It can definitely factor in when you're 10 plus hours into a day on the water and needing to make the perfect cast to hit your spot. I also love the way the 867 loads up on both a cast and when a fish is on. Nothing against a LDC at all on how it performs, I just feel more comfortable casting and fighting a fish with the dobyns.

A little history on that 867: I bought it a while back for the sole reason to fish my new 10" 316 freestyles while I waited on my custom XXH to be built, wait was a lot less back then for a custom too, but I was even more impatient then as well. Got it on sale for around $220 I think and loved it. I even threw a hinke and mother on it back during those days and never had an issue. I ended up getting my custom XXH and even a few more LDCs, so I sold the rod to a friend for cheap. He ended up needing money less than a year later so I bought it back for the same price. Then once again I needed money so I sold it to a different friend locally. He ended up hating it(tournament guy that didn't like the longer handle) and broke a guide on it. ONCE AGAIN, I bought the rod from him and had the guide replaced. Then after that I slowly found myself leaning towards the 867 over my custom XXH,  parabolic XXH, parabolic XH, production H, and production MH..... and at the trip last year I finally just gave in. I honestly didn't even know about the 30% vet discount until I had made my decision so that made it even easier for me. I now have 2 867s and will probably own a 3rd before much longer.

I've had nothing but good experiences with LDC. Even the one I broke, which I'm about 99.9% sure was my fault, was replaced in 3 months without an issue. The 867 is just an absolutely special rod for me. If I owned 1 single rod, it would without a doubt be it. I would not hesitate to throw from as small as a 7" slammer, hell even a plopper 130.....and I also would not hesitate to throw a hinkle or mother on it as well. Is it ideal for either? No, it's sweet spot is more around the 4-8oz range and I would much rather use a 795/806 for the smaller baits and a 908 for the bigger baits, but the 867 would throw the baits without an issue if needed.

My honest suggestion is to buy both and see which one if right for you. I went to Cali last month and used my friend's LDCs and even though I missed my dobyns, I didn't have a problem with the LDCs and landed some good fish on them. Like I said at the beginning,"both are excellent rods".

Edited by evans_usmc69