Night time Top water

brushhawg1

Like others have said, for a subtle Night approach I love the Wake Jr.

Probably my favorite. I never tried it at night but For early morning when that sun starts to peak I like the Freestyle Shad Floater on a super slow creep. Really is a killer bait on a dead crawl

For me in the ponds I fish at night during the week I use either a SPRO Rat 50 or a 7" slammer X2. I've used the wake jr., baby wake, florting freestyles, they have all caught fish. But my top 2 produsers for night time top water, (regardless of what time of year, air temp, water temp, ect) have been the 7" slammer X2 and SPRO Rat 50.

No lately with it being hot as mcnuggets out the grass has reached the surface so a bill and hanging hog hookers are a no go. I have switched to the SPRO Goliath Frog. (Yea probably not considered a swimbait but neither is a Kitech) I've just been dragging the big ass hollow body frog slowly with a pause or twitch here and there and been getting strikes. Now my hookup ratio has gone to crap. I'm getting about 1 hookup for every 3 strikes.

But I'm still catching them!

Plus I'll catch a few Bullfrogs every now and then for a little appetizer

• 3 weeks later...

White or black for slammer night colors. Typically I stick with a slammer, WSB rat or gill, and a g2 shellcracker. A Pat's or similar crank down bait can be good. Lately it's all about the g2 shellcracker in any color. It has been on fire from last fall thru this summer. I have several giants here in Maine on it, both waking and cranking it down. Amazing bait when it's flat calm and you want subtle. Here's a 7-0, 6-6 and my pb 7-9

post-19435-0-20894700-1500253824_thumb.jpg

post-19435-0-00357900-1500253854_thumb.jpg

post-19435-0-57604600-1500253967_thumb.jpg

I've done well with a floating Matt's Hardgill or when I 'm looking for a little bit bigger bait I will sometimes throw the Got 'em Coach Bluegill.   Both lures are responsible for my 2 biggest swimbait fish so I 'm a little partial to topwater Bluegill baits  8-)

Edited by Primus