NOOOOO!

SWIMBO

So I have been fishing with my 1 lone rod okuma guide select series H 1-6oz.The rod has been fine thus far..But I kept telling myself "Im gunna upgrade soon" but trying to get my lil boat together my eqiupment has taken the back burner..So got home from work today and decided to go throw the hudd deluxe,I always save this particular point for last because the point is text book big girl hangout but I have never pulled a fish off of it.So its about 645 sun just went behind the rockys wind blowing in my face so i make a cast across the point let the hudd hit bottom.Start my retrieve slowly across the point.....imagining the bottom as the hudd tells me what it looks like...rock...rock..Big rock... falling off big rock..rock.......weed...pop the hudd free...rock....thump thump!!!!....keep reeling same speed..w a i t f o r i t...rods loading up feel wieght..swing!!!.....snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!!..wait grab the line!! oh chit too late in water the line goes.. I fall to my knees and put my head on the ground and just yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :o:cry::cry::cry::cry:

What kind of so called swimbaiter only has one rod n e way :roll: so my delema is yes the okuma has been great so far but what if i hook into another fish the same size?If this happens again I feel I deserve it..how many of you guys would purchase the same rod if it failed you once?I feel like someone stole my arm because at the moment I cant fish!!!

so what would you guys do?upgrade while giving the opportunity? or save some $ and go with the same rod temporarily??? oh damb I just thought about it I lost a brand new hudd too!

FML!!

Thanx for letting me vent underground...Marbles

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ldc production rods seem well liked and they aren't that much more really. Can you get a new okuma under warrenty and save for something higher end like maybe the Ldc? At any rate that sucks even if you had 10 other rods as backup.

Bud, just think about it...by the time the next okuma snaps you could have just spent the $200 on a good rod and save yourself the hastle. I wouldn't waste the money on another one take the opportunity :D

I had a buddy break an okuma aswell, said there were good about a replacing it. I'd get a replacment, and then either fish it or sell it without fishing it at all and put that money twords a rod youve got faith in. I really like my 7'6" H okuma, and its held up well, but im also fishing trebels, on hudds mainly, and dont need that strong hook set.

Hate to hear that tho man, this will prob make it worse... But it had to be a real hog to break the rod... in THREE. :o

NGaHB

Don't they have a warranty? It'll cost you some moola to send it there and back though. If there is one thing I've learned through my recent swimbait/fishing purchases its to go high quality as soon as possible. (Rods, reels, baits, line, hooks, net, even my kayak)

I have an okuma H and XH 7'11 and a dobyns 807 (gen1). There is quite a difference there, same with the cardiff/abu 6500 to the TE level of reel.

Sucks you lost that fish.

-Dave

so the rod snapped?

NGaHB

yes in three pieces..I have only had it maybe 8 months

sorry im not much of a writer

And the line?

yes the line snapped too cxx 25# but i looked at the line and its black where it broke,leads me to believe the rod blowing up like that snapped the line..everything was fine line wasnt wrapped around n e thing..hell i was half way back when the fish hit

Man that sucks, I broke an Okuma 6'6" heavy jig rod about 4 years ago setting the hook on a stump and I haven't bought one since. It's just that stigma of that brand not holding up for me. Try and get the best quality rod and reel you can afford. I have 2 LDC's on the way, but still using Cardiffs. Hopefully I can slowly start upgrading to the Calcuttas, just wish they made the normal Calcuttas(non TE) in lefty, wouldn't be such a drastic change in $$$ for me.

Im really bummed because i was going to get my trolling motor this weekend..my wife said"dont worry about the stupid trolling motor even if your boat was ready what rod are you gunna fish with?"..she said buy a rod first :lol:

Man that sucks, I broke an Okuma 6'6" heavy jig rod about 4 years ago setting the hook on a stump and I haven't bought one since. It's just that stigma of that brand not holding up for me. Try and get the best quality rod and reel you can afford. I have 2 LDC's on the way, but still using Cardiffs. Hopefully I can slowly start upgrading to the Calcuttas, just wish they made the normal Calcuttas(non TE) in lefty, wouldn't be such a drastic change in $$$ for me.

Just got the TE and soon as I got it i dropped it and dinged it up really good I sent it in and they have a platinum plan on those reels it was back to me in 9 days with shipping. Well worth the money!

Upgrade immediately. Buy a used gloomis 956 or 957. Or buy an LDC. I only have one big swimbait rod and its the 957. I also have a 904 and an old school black max that has caught so many ten pounders its not even funny. Rod gave me the black max and we call her "blackie". Well she did me proud by gettin me an 11-1/2 on a DD-22. Cool as hell. I fish out of a small aluminum and dont have room for alot of stuff so I keep it simple and it taught me how to really fish what I had. I've seen used 957's going for 160 on sbn. Try and find one. Do Not Buy anothet fairy wand. It will cost you another fish at some point. How much would you pay right now to have that fish in the boat? Enough said. Sorry brother. The best lessons are learned the hardest. Been there :D

Sorry to hear about the lost fish, and the broken Okuma. If you need to borrow one, let me know. You know I've been using Okumas since I started and they seem solid, so it'd be worth contacting them to see about getting a replacement. The downside to living in Colorado (as you know) is that you can't just walk into a tackle store to test a handful of swimbait rods - we live and die by mail order!