S-Waiver thoughts...

Angryjohn

So I have jumed into the swimbait game and this is the bait that I plan on figuring out first. Seems as though there is some information out there but as always you find out stuff along the way that may help others. I had a 168 sitting in my box for over a year before I got around to fishing it. The primary motivation was that the lakes around me have very shallow shorelines with little to no hard structure to work with. I needed a good open water presentation and this seems to fit the bill. I have tried twould of the three sizes with the largest 200 in the mail.

1. The 120 is very small by glidebait standards and I don't feel like it's all that great. The reason I feel that way is because it has very little presents, does not move very much water and the s patern is very small. The smallest version does just what the bigger ones do, so that's good but the pattern for attracting is a bigger bass form and the little bait for me just struck out. The color I was fishing was terminator because of its smaller form I wanted some flash. Never had a hit or follower. I lost it on a piece of wood today and will not get another. I hope someone is killing it on this bait and can tell me I am full of crap.

2. The 168 has been my bread and butter so far. I have had the original bluegill, the I know it, and the warden hitch. So far the gill has a 3 and 6 to its credit and now lives with my fishing partner. The I know it was my favorite and has accounted for my best big bass day yet with two 5+. Unfortunately it met with a rock and the tail is gone. Took off the hooks and it's now hanging on my Christmas tree. That leaves the warden hitch my only one right now and it is having issues. This lure is what I beleven to be one of the not good swimmers. It swims and then the tail seems to get stuck to one side. Is this something that will go away after a while by wearing in or just a bum lure? I ask because I plan to contact the company and see how they deal with it. I have more than a few R2S lures and so far there all good. Two more in the mail of this size so I can get back in the game. More information as I continue to Lear and develop my waiver game.

Edited by Angryjohn

Checked out the youtube videos on wider glide modifications. Seems like a good idea and something I would have tried on the 120 as it's s was so small and tight. I played with the 168 I have and it's binding in the hinge on full swing to the left as you looking at the bait. I sent a message on fb and they just sent me an email adress. I will call on Monday and will see how helpful they are and how it all turns out.

So to follow up on the 168 issue it took 4 calls with leaving my name and number one voice mail and 3 facebook IM's to get there customer service on the line to work with me.  The guy said that the most likely issue was paint in the joint and had me send pictures of the entire bait and the hinges.  I dont see any paint or other debris in the hinges but i may try and find a way to get a closer look.  The guy was very friendly and there was discussion in sending in the bait for inspection.  Mailing it in can easily start costing more than the bait is worth, might be more interested if it was a 200 that i was having an issue with due to the additional cost.  A direct number to customer service is 707-455-7950 if that helps anyone save time....

The S Waver 168 was probably one of my first "swimbaits". Caught quite a few fish on it, including a flounder while bass fishing in a tidal Creek in a brackish section of river. Problem is, I never caught quality fish. Switched to other swimbaits and my average catch improved. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Bone and hitch have been big producers for me and my brothers. The bone especially, we throw all 3 sizes same goes for the whopper plopper. In the pock of Georgian bay we fish, the water is quiet stained and murky, so it's likely why the bone works the best. Mind you we have them in many other colors, those just happen to produce the most. The Northerns love em too.

I swear by my s waver, I throw the 200 99% of the time unless I'm in a situation where the bite is super tough and I just want to catch a fish then I'll throw the 168. Now I know many people just want to throw a "high quality" bait like a gan craft, deps or Roman, but IMHO I love the waver and only go to a higher quality bait when I want to throw a bigger size glide that R2S doesn't offer like a 10" or a 12" that the higher quality brands do offer.

Well i want to follow up on this but the dam water here is hard.  WTF i moved to the south to avoid this but it is what it is.  You may find me out and about looking for open water but the temps being in the single digets at night makes that a very slim possibility.  I never did get a chance to toss the 200.  I got notice to mail in the 168 with the messed up action and i have yet to get that done with my family still in town.  Things with that resolution will turn around quickly after there gone...

So What is the deal do people fish this split ring/snap or tie direct.  I have seen people talk about fishing it both ways and was wondering if one way is better or does it change the action????

Edited by Angryjohn

Well i want to follow up on this but the dam water here is hard.  WTF i moved to the south to avoid this but it is what it is.  You may find me out and about looking for open water but the temps being in the single digets at night makes that a very slim possibility.  I never did get a chance to toss the 200.  I got notice to mail in the 168 with the messed up action and i have yet to get that done with my family still in town.  Things with that resolution will turn around quickly after there gone...

So What is the deal do people fish this split ring/snap or tie direct.  I have seen people talk about fishing it both ways and was wondering if one way is better or does it change the action????

I tie a open loop knot. all the mobility of a ring or snap, but doesn't act as another weak point, IMO. Most guys will put on a snap/swivel and tie their normal knot.