What did you learn in 2017?

bigpoppabass

No secrets. Great thing about sb fishing is you always learn something new. Post urs my 2017 takeaways are:

1. Power handles. I am embarrassed to post my fav. I bought an Abu c3 from an su member for small change. It came with a power handle that did not fit. I bought the power handle for abus and have since just luved it paired with a bps pete maina musky rod heavy with a fast tip. Braid and 40 lb fluoro leader with a barbed down slammer 2x crankdown (original hooks touched up) was too much fun this year. Long bomb casts omg. Embarrassing rig that slams em.

2. Tx to su members I picked up baits that I rested. I tackle boxed my shellcrackers but used em after hearing of good news here and after an su member school me on em. For some reason they work here but not there kind of deal. I luv the feeling of a fiberglass rod loading up.

Btw pics r of my bud holding my fish. He keeps track of the weights and numbers. That is his deal.

post-20499-0-86902900-1514040847_thumb.jpg

post-20499-0-08419900-1514041093_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

Learned to keep grinding, went a solid month with nothing but it all pays off. Learned some etiquette on here, learned to put my faith in the 9" slammer. Learned to wrap my own rods. Learned there's something to that whole night fishing thing

Learned that I suck at swimbait fishing right now, been fishing nothing but swimbaits since July/Aug and had one slurp in the pitch black (no fish), one follower underneath the Slammer (thought it wanted to mate with the Slammer) and one swipe at at Hudd 68 weedless in very heavy grass but I saw it happen and yanked it out of it's grasp. But I am sticking with it and hope something happens this winter. We fish all year here in Chattanooga, no ice.

Swimbait fishing is very trying but thank God I am very hard headed and determined.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I learned time on the water is the key to success... Even if I am on a super dry spell right now. I learned that even tho we all spend our paychecks on the newest hype bait, if you don't know where and when to use it, you might as well be throwing a rock. I learned a little about weather patterns and moon cycles. I learned that most of you bait chuckers are pretty rad! I learned a ton in this first year of swimbait fishing. No turning back now!!

I learned that I don’t throw Swimbaits nearly as much as I should. Started throwing them every trip lately and sticking some nice fish. New Years resolution: THROW BIG BAITS MORE OFTEN!

Also learned that there a bunch of guys on this forum that are truly awesome and inspiring anglers. Thanks to all who post!

Edited by Amistoad

Saw more and more of how dynamic a fishing style swimbaiting actually is...it's not just chucking and winding till your arms fall off. Any angler needs to learn how to adapt and read the fish if he wants to be successful, whether he's using a giant bait or a plastic worm. Find the fish and learn to think like them. Adjust to seasonal patterns and your surroundings. Then proceed to catch fish!  :-D