What knots to use?

Korbinl21

I typically use 65 pound braid to 30 pound mono but I’m a new swimbait angler looking for some advice

I usually only throw small glide baits and swimbaits and some huds

What are some good leader knots for braid to mono?

Also how long should the leader be ?

I like the blood knot, mainly because it's easy and the Tactical Bassin guys use it. I go longer leader on glides than Hudds mainly for shock absorption ,  I think the 30# is a bit stout for small glides & hudds, i bet if you drop down to 17# or 20# you'll get bit more.

FG Knot.  I have had tremendous luck with this knot. 

I use it for all my leaders. 
10lb braid -> 12lb fluoro 
30lb braid -> 20lb fluoro
80lb braid -> 30lb mono

The only failures I have seen were JUST after tying the knot, which were likely 100% my fault for mis-tying.

It takes a little practice to tie, but it's incredibly strong, and the diameter going through the guides is sweet compared to other knots.

Tips:
Tie a loop knot in the braid, hold this with your teeth. 
Prop up your rod to put tension on the braid, it must stay tight.
When making your wraps with the leader, make damn sure you straighten out the leader after every wrap.  
After making your 30-40 wraps, tie one cinch knot, and crank down on the line.  pull HARD to get the braid to grab into the leader

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the albright and when tying to the bait I use the Palomar on baits I fish around rocks and improved clinch when fishing glidebaits and things I don't have to worry about banging up against rocks.

If you're throwing smaller glides (basically anything under about 3.5oz) I'd recommend 15-17# test.  You'll get a lot better action specifically from your glidebaits.  I throw mine on straight flouro and don't go to the braid-mono route until I'm throwing baits over 6 or 7oz.  Also, the half and half knot is a really good knot.  It'll give you 100% of your line strength before failure vs most knots.  Kind of a pain to tie at first but you definitely get quicker with time.  Not to mention it's just a good lookin knot and easy to see you tied it right.

• 7 months later...