BamaChild

I know that there are advertised swimbait/bigbait feels out there, and they work. I was wondering what makes them different from a normal baitcaster like a lowprofile. Is it the gears, drag, components, line capacity, being a round reel or not. For ex: Tranx vs. normal low profile, what’s the difference? I was also wondering about is anyone had tried KastKing rovers for swimbaits, I may give it a shot. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, dylan628 said:

gears a bigger and stronger, made to handle the sudden stop of a 6oz bait, versus a 3/8 ounce bait

Sudden stop? Like casting or hitting the water?

Alot of marketing actually.  The idea you need special lm tackle for big largemouth bass has always made me laugh....what the marketing does do is inspire you to buy the best tackle. That is a good thing....I still use old blue pt quantums for sb fishing and they perform well. Over time, comfort will become a big issue. So years ago I never thought I would pay up for a Calcutta D. But I get em now used on black market. 

9 hours ago, BamaChild said:

I know that there are advertised swimbait/bigbait feels out there, and they work. I was wondering what makes them different from a normal baitcaster like a lowprofile. Is it the gears, drag, components, line capacity, being a round reel or not. For ex: Tranx vs. normal low profile, what’s the difference? I was also wondering about is anyone had tried KastKing rovers for swimbaits, I may give it a shot. Thank you!

I have 2 rovers and 2 of the spartacus maximus's (the all aluminum saltwater model not the $40 one) and I love them to death, over a year of 3-5 fishing trips a week and only had to replace a worm gear on one but I don't consider that a fault as much as I fish. Just wear... I love them, I think I have the 50 size rover, it's not a 50 size reel that's just the number they give it

Most of the gearing itself isn't that much bigger, if at all from any other reel. What does set some gears apart is the material, but that is mostly seen in price. A reel with brass gears will be much better than a bigger gear made of pot metal, but will also be more expensive. Drags are mostly the same as just about everything has a carbon fiber drag now or you can get washers to replace drags very easily. Line capacity will be larger on most. Low profile or round is personal preference and bait speed preference.

I got a irod Jr Swimbait rod so I bought a kastking Assassin on amazon because I wanted to take off my Lexa 300 off it for another rod. (300 size reel was overkill for that rod) 

12-15lb pline cxx for Small Swimbaits been throwing a-rigs, 5” & 6.5” rising sons, 6” thumper tails and small glides this kastking reel is freaking great for <$60  small low profile, great drag, smooth, casts far I’m impressed my jr Swimbait rod is light and feels like a jig rod.

I just got a okuma guide rod and cardiff reel because it was better than my BPS turny rod ( @max 1oz) and the reel can handle more and bigger line for swim baits or snakeheads in florida. blew up to many smaller rods on em