7" Gill Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

Took a few hours just to set up the mold itself. I've had modelling clay shrink and crack on me when exposed to the air for too long, so it's a good thing that I finally got some non-drying synthetic clay to try out. For me personally the molding stage is when everything goes wrong, so I've got my fingers crossed. I'll get to check the results and pour the second half tomorrow and am getting really nervous just thinking about it in bed haha. Baitmaker problems.

IMG_20181130_183830_088.thumb.jpg.cb6bb1b85d765a26083246e4f776fd43.jpg

11 minutes ago, aoy08 said:

Coming along great Dan! Good job man! Those scales look awesome, also looks like a major pain in the ass to do lol. Glad you bait maker guys have the patience! You have guys waiting on the chance to send one lol. 

Thank you sir! They sure are a pain to make but you just gotta keep your eye on the finish line and push through. If they turn out ok then all the pain will be forgotten. And if they don't turn out ok...then I guess I'll just have to do better next time haha :D

23 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

And if they don't turn out ok...then I guess I'll just have to do better next time haha 

I understand you there, im on like a 3 bait streak of baits that dont work. :( just keep on trucking...

11 hours ago, azsouth said:

keep on rolling! looks really good. 

Thanks for the encouraging words! Not planning on stopping any time soon!

8 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

I understand you there, im on like a 3 bait streak of baits that dont work. :( just keep on trucking...

Thanks and you too man! Wait till you start trying to make a clean mold...almost makes me want to go back to carving wood baits only haha. Silicone sure isn't cheap.

My mold was actually a success for once! Ran out of silicone at the end but was able to use some older stuff as filler. Now it's time to see if I can tune this thing properly and overcome my glide bait curse. Trying hard not to count my chickens before they hatch haha

IMG_20181203_160731_698.thumb.jpg.241aa16abecebbb438c75e160296132d.jpg

4 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

WOW that is so pretty, i strive for this level of artistic ability. Great stuff.

Thanks! You're off to a way better start than I had...give it a few years and I'd be surprised if you don't surpass me in both skill and creativity!

1 hour ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Damn looks so good! Can’t wait to see it hanging from a fish!

Me too man! Can't wait to be throwing this around once the weather warms up!

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

One word, Beautiful!

Much thanks, Roger!!

24 minutes ago, bigbass45 said:

I just read thru this thread and I am very impressed. A nice view into bait making. Something I don't know much about. Thanks

Glad you can enjoy and appreciate the building process along with me...thanks for the kind words!