7" Gill Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

The beginnings: Haven't posted in the grass roots section for a good while but I've still been busy working on baits, believe me. I have so many projects started and/or stopped that I have a hard time focussing my efforts on one bait at a time! This is one project that I'm particularly excited about however, so I thought I'd post every now and then with my progress to motivate myself to finish haha.

When I first got serious about swimbaiting my dream bait was the Jackall Gantarel. I was dying to acquire one, but funding has always been tight and my brother wouldn't permit it, telling me to make my own instead. Long story short and almost four years later, I finally think I'm up to the challenge...not just to make any bluegill bait, but one that I can fish with 100% confidence and no regrets for how I designed it. Granted I could've just bought a Gantarel a long time ago considering bait making materials are way more expensive, but where's the value in that? I know you fellow baitmakers out there understand!

All that said, the plan is to first make a realistic bluegill-imitating glide bait about 7" long. Then I'll convert it into a multijoint later on so that I'll have two models and applications to fish. Our little home lake has bluegill as its only forage species, and this size will be a perfect match! I carve all my masters from start to finish out of a block of bass wood using only a hacksaw, utility knife, and sandpaper.

This is actually my second attempt at making my new gill. I just recently finished another bait that I was pretty stoked about, but I just wasn't perfectly satisfied with how it looked or its profile and so I scrapped it and started over. As a baitmaker with a low budget and very little tools/supplies, it was very hard for me to learn how to put my all into a carve only to drop it and move on when I saw that I could still improve...but I've learned that every carve and every mistake is a new experience made to be learned from. So whether I succeed with this next carve or fail miserably, it's never a waste.

But I'll stop wasting your time and get to the bait already :D

IMG_20181025_231601_465.thumb.jpg.57113ce60e4b14e9f1ab90edfb84070b.jpg

I've actually progressed quite a bit since this photo, but I want to wait till I'm a little farther along before the next update. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoy following along!

- Danthefisherman

5 hours ago, Gmcgee123 said:

Looks like it should be sweet!!

I sure hope so!

2 hours ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

It’s gonna be sweet!

Can hardly wait till I'm finished haha

2 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Amazing bro, cant wait to see how this turns out. You definitely have a God given talent. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the kind words!

Repurposing the fins I carved from my previous gill bait for this new one. Might have to make a few modifications and a bigger tail but other than that they're good to go!

Edit: these will be soft fins made with urethane rubber for the glide and plastisol for the swimmer

P7310021.thumb.JPG.1a70495a0c4768fe3e11c1fd8e3ea584.JPG

Edited by danthefisherman

Dan that’s gonna be awesome.

I have lots of power tools but to be honest, a coping saw, knife and sandpaper is all you need. The power stuff can be rushed and take off too much too fast at times.

Do you have a Dremel multi tool? That’s one tool that really helps sand away some hard to work areas.

i bought a new one this year. My old one worked fine but my dog chewed the cord off. If you don’t mind taking it apart and installing a new cord, I’ll send it to you with a barrel sanding bit.

41 minutes ago, mike h said:

Dan that’s gonna be awesome.

I have lots of power tools but to be honest, a coping saw, knife and sandpaper is all you need. The power stuff can be rushed and take off too much too fast at times.

Do you have a Dremel multi tool? That’s one tool that really helps sand away some hard to work areas.

i bought a new one this year. My old one worked fine but my dog chewed the cord off. If you don’t mind taking it apart and installing a new cord, I’ll send it to you with a barrel sanding bit.

Thanks Mike! Yes, I do have a Dremel with all the different attachments and things lying around I just never use it. I don't know why, but I enjoy building my baits much more with just a simple blade and sandpaper. I guess taking the long way cut by cut makes the process more personal and involved in my mind...but then again the fish don't really care so maybe I'm being stubborn haha

On 10/29/2018 at 8:30 PM, mike h said:

I think it looks really good. 

Now that's something coming from you haha, thanks Mike!

On 11/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, drtyrat30 said:

Dude, you're work is inspiring. Can't wait to see this one finished...

Thank you for the kind words Jesse, can't wait to get it finished either!