7" Gill Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

I ran into a similar situation also with  braydens gill. Esp the second mold with no scales. It was too slim and it was really difficult to make it glide with limited weighting. A lot of pan fish glides in the market has that, fluttery swim. A lot of them are also slim and tall. Most times they are twitch bait or should I say works better as a twitch bait. I believe the mass of the bait is what pushes the bait in its directions when building a glide. Think of a trout profile where it's bulky and not too high. And it glides great. I think adding mass to the bait will help out a lot. Also a different mix ratio plays a big role.  I have an idea to get braydens gill a more bulky finish but not sure how it's going to turn out. I've been tempting to try it but just really dont have the time to.

I'm sure what you are recreating is going to work. Or you'll find a way to make it work. 

8 minutes ago, Rogervang said:

I ran into a similar situation also with  braydens gill. Esp the second mold with no scales. It was too slim and it was really difficult to make it glide with limited weighting. A lot of pan fish glides in the market has that, fluttery swim. A lot of them are also slim and tall. Most times they are twitch bait or should I say works better as a twitch bait. I believe the mass of the bait is what pushes the bait in its directions when building a glide. Think of a trout profile where it's bulky and not too high. And it glides great. I think adding mass to the bait will help out a lot. Also a different mix ratio plays a big role.  I have an idea to get braydens gill a more bulky finish but not sure how it's going to turn out. I've been tempting to try it but just really dont have the time to.

I'm sure what you are recreating is going to work. Or you'll find a way to make it work. 

Exactly my thoughts and experiences! Good to know I'm not the only one...yeah the bait looked great as a sort of twitch bait that flashes from side to side. I could see myself throwing it to tight cover or along the edges of vegetaion, but when it comes to fishing it in open water it just looked a bit lame. I wanted to see if I could make it more versatile to also travel a decent distance and call fish further when fishing open points or large structure.

• 4 weeks later...

Build update: Cut a perfect joint but messed up in other areas. I went a little overboard carving the head down and disliked how it turned out, so I'm scrapping this carve and probably starting over again.

@Rogervang see I'm far from being immune to messing up. One small slip and wallah the bait is plane ugly :D

2 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

Send it to me! I'll finish that sucker!!

Had I seen this comment before this morning I would have been game! Unfortunately I've already lopped off most of the face and have been chopping up and tinkering around with the master to see how much I can learn about making a gill glide. I can't send out something this ugly in my right mind haha