7" Gill Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

21 hours ago, Rogervang said:

Sweet!

Thanks Roger!

19 hours ago, aoy08 said:

Looks awesome Dan! Can't wait to see it swim! If you need a bait tester I'll do it free of charge Lmao!!! 

Haha I can't wait either! Thanks!

4 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

You might have mentioned it prior, but what kind of wood is this? And what wood do you recommend for wooden glidebaits? 

I'm using bass wood to carve my master... It's relatively soft and easy to cut with a knife. I don't often make wooden baits anymore since moving on to pouring resin, so I can't help you much there sorry

2 hours ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Scales. That detail is so good!

Much thanks! I try!

1 hour ago, zsneezes said:

Coming right along!  I think scales could only improve the final product.  Will you be carving them?

Sounds good! Yes, I carve the scales with a combination of my knife and wood chisels.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mike h said:

You can always add scales to one of the molded versions and mold again.

Thanks Mike! I'm thinking about it...but silicon is crazy expensive right now so I'll probably just go for scales on the first try. Just cut the joint today as well and thank goodness it came out clean haha!

8 hours ago, Niki814 said:

Thats going to look amazing with fins. Hope i can get my hands on one. Beautiful work by the way

Thanks Niki! The fins are sure going to be a pain to pour, but it'll be worth it in the end.

1 hour ago, aoy08 said:

We'll be waiting Dan! I'm ready to send it! 

Thank you, Kevin! I'm so ready myself haha. Hopefully she swims well!

Finished scaling most of the main body today and my hands are cramping from it all haha. Scaling is always tricky because the wood can be prone to cracking and/or flaking if your tools aren't sharp enough. Mine are starting to blunt out so I had to be extra careful. The scales are also pretty shallow so I'm just hoping it'll show well when I pour resin duplicates. Now I'm on to smoothing down the head detailing one more time and scaling the gill plates. The last thing to do before molding is to finish scaling the more delicate areas around the joint.

20181119_222838-01.thumb.jpeg.b30b97e309bd33c161a9e49ae62fded0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Please tell me your secret to scales. I love this bait design, gonna try and get a resin project going. I might hit you up with some questions if i run into a problem. Love this build so far!

Thanks! Just lemme know! ;)