7" Gill Glide/Swimmer Project

danthefisherman

Tried pouring urethane fins for the first time and four out of the six were flops. The material started to set faster than I was expecting so the pectorals and front dorsal especially didn't fill all the way. This urethane also takes three full days to cure and I only have one master mold, so I had no idea whether they were any good or not. Apparently they weren't haha. Just poured another set today and added coloring this time.

I also sprayed my face and my right eye with the liquid rubber when I was trying to open the containers. I was wearing my respirator but no eye protection, so now I have a nice rash and skin reaction on half my face to deal with. Wear your safety gear everyone...chemicals and airborne particles are no joke!

IMG_20181207_133823_691.thumb.jpg.4eae00b926e341b21e5d28c4749dab3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dan I know you're in the process of prototyping that glide, when you are testing it, are you testing it with the fins in or fins out?  The main reason I ask is because I'm curious if you are getting a good swim without the fins.  I know sometimes adding those fins can kill the action on a glide and I was wondering if you've tried both ways.  Also on the urethane rubber, what shore hardness are you using?

23 minutes ago, morgantm16 said:

Dan I know you're in the process of prototyping that glide, when you are testing it, are you testing it with the fins in or fins out?  The main reason I ask is because I'm curious if you are getting a good swim without the fins.  I know sometimes adding those fins can kill the action on a glide and I was wondering if you've tried both ways.  Also on the urethane rubber, what shore hardness are you using?

Hey man! I'm testing it with fins both in and out as well as different combinations of fins in and out. We've tried using plastisol with hardener added for our previous glides but it was way too soft for my liking, so we just recently picked up this 70A urethane to try out. It could be a bit softer without changing the action much I think, but the fins definitely help in stabilizing the bait as a whole. So far the bait has a pretty tight glide similar to what I imagine a HPH glide would have. I did design the bait with a tighter joint which may be a contributing factor, but I've learned from the constant nagging of numerous reputable anglers that a wide glide isn't always the best glide, so I'm not too worried here. The pectoral fins do seem to slow the bait down a bit and maybe even add a slight wobble to the glide, but I already carved the slots into the master and actually like them better in than out. They add a bit more dimension to the bait since they protrude a bit from the sides and help me to fish the bait slower when I'm targeting specific areas and cover.

If this wasn't a small/medium sized gill profile then I probably wouldn't have added so much fin to the bait, but since it is a smaller and more elongated profile compared to some other gill baits I can get away with adding a full set of fins without making it too bulky. Thus I actually designed a good portion of the bait around using the fins as a rudder system of sorts for increased ballance. This is also why I opted to use a harder urethane rubber for my fins so that they could help balance the bait...especially in the back where I have less material to work with.

I hope that helps! Can't wait to see your shad come to life!

I originally wanted pectoral fins on mine.  I opted out and almost went with just some molded in fins because I've heard of the pectorals sometimes being finicky when it comes to action.  I also stuck to a lower profile dorsal fin for the same reason for now.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I get my molds, should be getting really close though!  I'm pumped, I can't wait to see how both baits turn out and hopefully in time for the bait swap!

Here's a little sneak peak of one of my crash dummy glide prototypes with a full set of bright yellow urethane fins...because why not?

IMG_20181217_105133_037.thumb.jpg.0a6b3a94c038b731d8044c25fd1726a3.jpg

Would love to be able to pour translucent colored urethane fins but I haven't had any luck finding any products that would allow me to blend different colors and hues. If anyone can point me in the right direction or recommend a different product/material that would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

here is what I know about the urethane I worked with, normally is black in color to resist uv break down and is basically used in high strength applications.... it can come in single tubes or double stage for ultra fast set ( set time 30 or less) as more applications are being demanded here is the only one that I have found even close to what you are wanting.

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-poly-adhesive-2-part-clr-50ml-cartridge-568127/i/G1278347/

hope this helps

4 hours ago, azsouth said:

here is what I know about the urethane I worked with, normally is black in color to resist uv break down and is basically used in high strength applications.... it can come in single tubes or double stage for ultra fast set ( set time 30 or less) as more applications are being demanded here is the only one that I have found even close to what you are wanting.

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-poly-adhesive-2-part-clr-50ml-cartridge-568127/i/G1278347/

hope this helps

Interesting...I'll give this a good looking-over. Thanks Stuart!

1 hour ago, Ong Jim said:

That is a really good looking gill.

Thank you!