Buyers beware

Mossypumpkin

BUYERS BEWARE!!! Careful doing business with SCOTT WHITBY. A member of ours PAID for a bait from him on January 1st. That’s 15 days to ship a bait. He has been given plenty of chances. Said he would ship last week again. Not replying to the buyer, but replied to my message and then gave me 40 excuses, including “snow”. Buyer requested a refund with no reply. MORE THAN ENOUGH OPPORTUNITIES. So....please don’t chime in with, “oh he’s legit. He wouldn’t do that. He’s been good in the past”. Because right now, he’s a bullshitter and ripping someone off. And this is the second person he’s currently doing it to as well. Please share. 

*update: apparently he’s done it to several people in the last two weeks

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

Update! Also going by Josh Steele. Just found out he’s scammed a number of people for well over $1000. He’s been all over the Facebook pages. 

Jeez sucks to hear! hope everyone gets their baits or their money, what a scumbag...

8 hours ago, bassing305 said:

This subject reminds me why I do not buy swimbaits from people in internet forums or invite people fishing from Internet forums.

there are plenty of excellent forum members that go out of their way to do right by the SB community, there are also many stand up forum members that participate in the bait trade (some to the extreme) without issue - just have to follow some of the same basic internet transaction principles that you would use on any other site. Its almost always the crossover users from FB that end up burning guys because they aren't community members, and somehow get guys to pay them F&F :huh:

I've met great sticks on this forum that aren't bad to shoot the ish with, obviously you wouldn't invite someone out without at least talking to them first. But this is a community, and often that leads to meeting in person. I would rather have a network of people all over than be stuck shore banging if i'm on a vacation and want to get a bait wet. just my $0.02

3 hours ago, northeast_trev said:

there are plenty of excellent forum members that go out of their way to do right by the SB community, there are also many stand up forum members that participate in the bait trade (some to the extreme) without issue - just have to follow some of the same basic internet transaction principles that you would use on any other site. Its almost always the crossover users from FB that end up burning guys because they aren't community members, and somehow get guys to pay them F&F :huh:

I've met great sticks on this forum that aren't bad to shoot the ish with, obviously you wouldn't invite someone out without at least talking to them first. But this is a community, and often that leads to meeting in person. I would rather have a network of people all over than be stuck shore banging if i'm on a vacation and want to get a bait wet. just my $0.02

Been a member of this forum for a couple years now so I know there are good members, but I have noticed an increase of threads like these. Seems like there are more people trying to rip others off with swimbaits, more spam accounts from what I read from another recent thread, and other less than desirable behaviors. Nothing wrong with fishing from the shore on vacation, I do it often and have caught lots of big fish that way. Have caught striped bass, muskie, smallmouth bass, walleye, trout and other nice fish all from the shore while on vacation. I fish with my girlfriend on these vacations and its better that way than wasting my time with some random person who I do not really know and might not be able to fish as well as they portray online.

3 hours ago, boylah said:

I've reasonably new and so far 80% positive experiences. This stuff makes me weary trusting folks. Just ruins it for everyone.

So that means you had 20% negative experiences? Thats a high percentage when it comes to customer service. Should be less than 5%. Not surprised though since swimbaits are expensive when compared to most lures so there will always be people trying to rip off others when it comes to making a couple extra dollars.

1 hour ago, bassing305 said:

So that means you had 20% negative experiences? Thats a high percentage when it comes to customer service. Should be less than 5%. Not surprised though since swimbaits are expensive when compared to most lures so there will always be people trying to rip off others when it comes to making a couple extra dollars.

i just meant most folks i've bought/sold from incl makers have been very good/totally smooth.  I've had some folks there were a bit curt/midly impersonable but i've NOT been scam yet (touch wood!). that said, i have been scam in my other hobbies.  so these jokers are out there. beware!  ignore my percentages. it's just finger in air.