Through ebay.

Pressgo

Hi, searching “Shimano Calcutta conquest” on eBay turns up confusing results. To my (noob) eye, a Calcutta conquest 401 for $290 seems like a great deal, especially if I wait for a 15-20% ebay coupon. Listing from Japan has it as excellent condition, 100% feedback.  But this type of reel usually goes for more in the black market. What’s with the price difference? I see this with other high end reels on eBay. What’s the catch?

Reels can be cheaper new in Japan than in the US to start off with, but it could also be an older model. While not on ebay, I got a used reel off a Japanese website and it's fine. They usually don't try to hide any cosmetic wear from the customer in my browsing, if anything, they point it out. The biggest catch is maybe the reel isn't smooth, but you can generally get a feel from cosmetics(not saying a pretty outside doesn't mean trashed internals or vice versa) or they have a sentence mentioning it. If you can still acquire parts for the reel(check plat.co.jp if it's a jdm reel) it's not much of a gamble.

One thing to keep in mind is having extra to pay import fees, while the chance is low, don't expect to not have to pay them. I think it should be under $50 for a reel.

1 hour ago, Mavn said:

Reels can be cheaper new in Japan than in the US to start off with, but it could also be an older model. While not on ebay, I got a used reel off a Japanese website and it's fine. They usually don't try to hide any cosmetic wear from the customer in my browsing, if anything, they point it out. The biggest catch is maybe the reel isn't smooth, but you can generally get a feel from cosmetics(not saying a pretty outside doesn't mean trashed internals or vice versa) or they have a sentence mentioning it. If you can still acquire parts for the reel(check plat.co.jp if it's a jdm reel) it's not much of a gamble.

One thing to keep in mind is having extra to pay import fees, while the chance is low, don't expect to not have to pay them. I think it should be under $50 for a reel.

I've been buying stuff from japan for at least 10 years, ebay and other. I have never had to pay an import fee in probably 500 transactions.

Thanks for the info, I sent the seller a few questions that you all brought up.

1 hour ago, MA Frog Man said:

Used/ not current model

I don’t mind used. Are features on current models worth it over older ones? Is there a certain date that I should look out for, like nothing older than 20** for instance. 

I have ordered a few Megabass i slides for around 40 USD, Deps Bullshooters and various other JDM baits on Ebay well under the prices stateside. You end up paying at most $10 for shipping. So i would say yes, it is legit and you really can get great deals.

5 hours ago, Pressgo said:

Thanks for the info, I sent the seller a few questions that you all brought up.

I don’t mind used. Are features on current models worth it over older ones? Is there a certain date that I should look out for, like nothing older than 20** for instance. 

This is just my opinion.....I had an older model, maybe 2008, not sure, it's a little taller and wider than the newer one I have now, which is the 2015.  I sold my older one to upgrade to the 2015 and I regret it.

Though bulkier I liked that the line guide moves as line is leaving the spool on a cast. The bait clicker was a nice feature too. The moving line guide and the bait clicker are features that were removed on the 2015 model. Idk about the 2018 model. 

It's just personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. But if I could go back I'd keep my older conquest 

I also have only  good experience from buying from Japan on Ebay. Japanese must be the most honest people. They rank their reels worst than they actually are.

Got crazy prices on conquest dc, certate, aldebaran... Only small problem to be fixed was missing two small springs on Aldebaran (which was not advertised). But paid 200USD for an otherwise mint Aldebaran!

If lots of good ratings on Ebay, I would not hesitate.

Import fees are the exception, not the norm. I think they apply on imports over $250. But only if your package get checked by customs. My feeling is that customs do random selections. 

Iv bought two new reels and one used one and all came in no problem off ebay from different sellers,  i got a 2017 grappler 300,  2018 conquest 400, and a used older model conquest 200, i do the same and wait for a 15-20% off coupon and get a great deal