state by state 10 lb odds

azfisher

Ever hear of the 10 year rule? The biggest bass in any fishery is caught 10 years after its first introduction.  There is a book about the the history of bass in NH, and it was like clockwork here for both sm and lm. I play the theory when I hear of a fish kill during a heavy ice season etc.

Edited by bigpoppabass

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, MA Frog Man said:

2 years ago I was out on a spot I used to fish a couple times a week. I'm at the ramp and some guy walking by starts talking to me about all the 10lbers he catches all the time blah blah blah. I had 2 fish in the livewell a 5 something and 1 pushing 6 that I lift out to take a pic and release. He says that's gotta be a 12 pounder. I said nope not even 6 and just let them go haha.  

Seriously cant stand this, I get the same ish where I fish, guys at the check station at one of the main small lakes I hit a lot during the season always saying how people catch 10's all season long on like 10" black worms.....dude is missing almost 80% of his teeth and about 99% of his brains. My buddy plucked a 6 something out of there and I think a 7, 6 came off a jig and the 7 off a hudd. Pretty sure those 2 are 2 of the biggest in there. People all around Utah and the main state I fish see a fat 5 or 6 and think its a 10/12.  

Would have to agree on the low percentage for AZ seems off, I follow quite a few guys on insta that are always posting pics of DD's from there, granted almost all these dudes are fishing SB's but still, my family lives down there and I visit from time to time and always check out the state fishing page and you see people pulling 5,6,7's out of shitty little city ponds. Really don't understand how it got such a low percentage considering its balls hot there year round and those fish never seem to go into that hibernation period they stay eating 24-7.

I highly doubt 33% is accurate for just a regular bass fisherman in FL. For someone who's not afraid to fish live shiners, maybe. There are a lot of bass tournament PRO'S  whose PB is not over 10.  For just your average guy that Chuck and winds cranks and worms a 10 will be pure luck.

The best place in the USA to catch a 10 pound or better largemouth bass in public waters is Florida, especially Central/Northern Florida. There are hundreds of public bodies of water in Florida that have 10 pound or better bass so you will have plenty of places to fish. If you need more proof you can check the TrophyCatch program where you can see pictures of hundreds of bass over 10 pounds that have been caught in Florida in the past couple years. These catches are only a very small number of the big bass caught in Florida since most people do not submit their catches to the TrophyCatch program. This makes sense since Florida strain largemouth bass are native to Florida and grow best here naturally. Our bass do not need to feed on dumb slow stocked trout to reach double digits and a dedicated Florida bass fisherman can expect to catch several big bass every year from public waters. Texas is second best in the USA since they have a great bass fishery. Cuba, Mexico, South Africa, and Japan are other good places to catch a 10 pound or better largemouth bass.

17 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

I highly doubt 33% is accurate for just a regular bass fisherman in FL. For someone who's not afraid to fish live shiners, maybe. There are a lot of bass tournament PRO'S  whose PB is not over 10.  For just your average guy that Chuck and winds cranks and worms a 10 will be pure luck.

Those ''pros'' fish for a 5 bass limit in a short amount of time given to them in a tournament. It is a different type of bass fishing. They are not trophy bass fishermen which fish with a different mindset. Muskie fishermen are very similar to trophy bass fishermen, both tend to focus on the biggest fish they can catch and do not care much for a 5 fish limit. A trophy bass fisherman is extremely patient and can easily wait weeks if not months to catch another trophy bass. 

6 minutes ago, bassing305 said:

Those ''pros'' fish for a 5 bass limit in a short amount of time given to them in a tournament. It is a different type of bass fishing. They are not trophy bass fishermen which fish with a different mindset. Muskie fishermen are very similar to trophy bass fishermen, both tend to focus on the biggest fish they can catch and do not care much for a 5 fish limit. A trophy bass fisherman is extremely patient and can easily wait weeks if not months to catch another trophy bass. 

How long have you fished in Florida and how many DD's have you caught.

1 hour ago, bassbass said:

How long have you fished in Florida and how many DD's have you caught.

I grew up in Florida and have fished in Florida for largemouth bass for +24 years at this moment in time. I am not a snowbird that recently moved to Florida and I have fished all across this state from the Western end of the Florida Panhandle to Key West. I have caught 3 double digits, 20 or so between 9-10 pounds, lost count of the 8-9 pounders, and hundreds of bass over 5 pounds. One of my mentors caught a bass that was ounces away from 15 pounds in the same place I caught my current PB bass of 12.25 pounds. All of these bass where caught from land in South Florida in public waters where it is much harder than fishing private ponds in Central/North Florida... Have caught most species of black bass since I like to travel to catch new species of fish. Have caught well over 150 species of fish so bass fishing is not the only type of fishing I do. With that said any bass fisherman in Florida can catch a double digit bass if they put in the time needed and fish places that has double digit bass.  It is not rocket science. Focus on techniques that are well known for bass 8 pounds and above. I did it from land in public waters so it should be no big deal for someone who fishes on a boat in a lake well known for trophy bass. 

On 1/26/2019 at 7:32 AM, azfisher said:

Found this on Facebook. Don't know the source, what do you all think? Is this accurate for your state?

10 lb chart.jpg

I would say its accurate for Florida if a person fishes wisely in bodies of water well known for trophy bass.

6 minutes ago, bassing305 said:

I grew up in Florida and have fished in Florida for largemouth bass for +24 years at this moment in time. I am not a snowbird that recently moved to Florida and I have fished all across this state from the Western end of the Florida Panhandle to Key West. I have caught 3 double digits, 20 or so between 9-10 pounds, lost count of the 8-9 pounders, and hundreds of bass over 5 pounds. One of my mentors caught a bass that was ounces away from 15 pounds in the same place I caught my current PB bass of 12.25 pounds. All of these bass where caught from land in South Florida in public waters where it is much harder than fishing private ponds in Central/North Florida... Have caught most species of black bass since I like to travel to catch new species of fish. Have caught well over 150 species of fish so bass fishing is not the only type of fishing I do. With that said any bass fisherman in Florida can catch a double digit bass if they put in the time needed and fish places that has double digit bass.  It is not rocket science. Focus on techniques that are well known for bass 8 pounds and above. I did it from land in public waters so it should be no big deal for someone who fishes on a boat in a lake well known for trophy bass. 

Those are some great fish, but when you say it is easy to catch a DD in Florida, I am not thinking 3 in +24 years fishing, that is 1 every 8 years.

Also if you look at trophy catch and take the number of DD bass and then look at the registered members or the number of fishing license w you will be very surprised at the percentage.

I live in South Florida where catching a 10 pound or better bass is not as easy as catching a 10 pounder in Central/Northern Florida but it can still be done in a lifetime of a bass fishing. A person bass fishing in Central/Northern Florida should be able to catch more double digits than a person bass fishing in South Florida. The original subject talks about catching a 10 pounder in a lifetime of fishing which is much longer than 24 years. Lets say someone fishes Florida for 70-90 years (lifetime of bass fishing) and fishes wisely ( focuses on big bass techniques in waters known for big bass) don't you think that individual will have a decent shot at a 10 pound bass in 70-90 years of bass fishing in Florida?  That person will most likely catch more than one double digit bass in that amount of time. I caught my first double digit bass in less than 10 years of bass fishing and I caught that fish from land in South Florida  so a person with a boat in Central/Northern Florida will have greater chances to catch a double digit bass than a young man fishing from the shore. Not everyone submits their catches to TrophyCatch so that is something to take consideration as well. I caught several bass last year that qualified for TrophyCatch and I  did not submit them, imagine the bass that other people catch that are much bigger than the ones I caught that you never hear about since those people like to be private about their catches.

Edited by bassing305