Rat help

Jack

I'm just starting to get into the Rat Bite. I have 2 Large Nez rats and really have very little idea where to start fishing them, under what conditions, water clarity, wake um, crank um?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks SU.

Jack

Great info guys. Thanks. 

I was blown away by Caesar's info!!!! I am going to head to a local lake this weekend and throw it most of the day. We have flooding conditions, dirty water and should have cloud cover as well. hope to draw out a giant or two!!!

Thanks again!!

1. In the water

2.Day or Night

3.Clear or Muddy 

4. Wake and Crank

I think that answers all you're questions haha. Rat is a very versatile bait. Start by fishing it the same places you'd throw a squarebill crank and you'll do just fine

I just started using rats myself. Micro mink specifically.  3 trips I've taken it out. 

First trip was really just to test swim it. Threw it about 10-15 min before I had to leave and got 2 swipes on it, didn't connect 

Next 2 trips I landed a fish each time because I fully intended on fishing it. I have no doubt the first trip I wouldn't caught something had I fished it earlier. 

Rat game is legit man. Its gonna be in my rotation from now on. 

Took the Large Nez rat (brown) to a flooded lake here in North Central Texas yesterday. Cranked/waked it around flooded timber, trees, brush grass and rocks. never had a bite.  

The water clarity was 12 inches, the sky was fairly clear and the water temp was in the mid 70's. The guy in the back of the boat caught a couple of fish on a beaver style bait so I know that I was around fish. 

I guess just keep on slinging them?!

Edited by Jack

I fished some local ponds in the Dallas area this weekend. I had some luck on the smaller version, nez mouse. Caught 4 bass Saturday morning  when it was overcast and intermittent rain. Largest was 3 lbs, had a bonus 10lb catfish and a lot of interest from the turtles and bluegill as well. Went out to same ponds on Sunday afternoon and did not get any followers or bites.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, hunterfj said:

I fished some local ponds in the Dallas area this weekend. I had some luck on the smaller version, nez mouse. Caught 4 bass Saturday morning  when it was overcast and intermittent rain. Largest was 3 lbs, had a bonus 10lb catfish and a lot of interest from the turtles and bluegill as well. Went out to same ponds on Sunday afternoon and did not get any followers or bites.

I heard it was pretty slow for almost everyone on Sunday. I'll head back out on Friday or Saturday and give it another shot!!!