300 Size Reel

Rincon_Jose

Needing a new reel to pair with my 867. I had a Tranx before that I've now moved to my F5 868XH. I like low profile reels. I'm thinking Lews super duty 300, Shimano curado 300e, or just get another tranx. If anyone has had them and can give me a comparison that'd be great. Thanks su. 

I have a TranX 301A and a Lew's 300 Super Duty in 6.5:1  They are both nice, sturdy, and feel comfortable in hand. Lots of line capacity for 20lb fluorocarbon or copolymer. Both cast very smooth. The Lew's may palm a bit smaller for me, but that may also be the difference in the rods they are on.

I luv my curado 301s but this series is better for short pitch casts rathan than for long bomb ones. I think they retired em for that reason. You can practically cast spoof off but then it is has little cranking power.  There is a utube video about this.  I like my Calcutta D's tho and that should be another consideration for you.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I just purchased a F5 867H myself because of the sale and free shipping, may be time for me to explore the tranx reels myself, I have a super duty on my fury 795 and a curado 301 on my dobyns 867 both work fine for me but since I finally broke the cherry on the 867/301 combo last year on my first hudd fish I can somewhat agree I wish the reel had some more cranking power to get the fish in faster.  Never fished a round reel so I don't know what I'm missing, just prefer low pro's in the hand

You can get a revo toro beast on eBay for about $280.  Probably my next swim bait reel purchase.  Father’s Day gift to myself.

I take care of my gear but I was tearing apart, lubing and reassembling my Curado 301e pretty regularly.  Lost it in a freak backpack falling out of the tailgate my dumbass left down when I was visiting the fam in PA while Florence was tearing up Lejeune.  

On 6/10/2019 at 6:16 AM, bigpoppabass said:

You can practically cast spoof off but then it is has little cranking power.  There is a utube video about this.  I like my Calcutta D's tho and that should be another consideration for you.

Can you post the a link to the youtube video. Im interested