How can I get my followers to commit?

Jake_M_Fishing

Welcome to the big bait game bro.

Try everything. Speed up, quick twitches, pauses. It happens to all of us and will forever I think. I get some damn big striper follow all the way to the boat and just turn and swim off. Its frustrating as hell!

Good luck

Just try something different every time. Don’t view them as fish missed but rather as something learned each time. I like to think of it as a game of cat and mouse. You gotta keep your bait in the sweet spot right in front of them. Too far away, and usually they won’t commit. 

36 minutes ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Just try something different every time. Don’t view them as fish missed but rather as something learned each time. I like to think of it as a game of cat and mouse. You gotta keep your bait in the sweet spot right in front of them. Too far away, and usually they won’t commit. 

Good info right here, you will learn by having followers with the bigger baits you get almost as excited because you almost did it right!!

to put it simply as others have, just change up the action.

That means speed up, slow down, twitch, pause, burn, etc... mix it up and see what the fish want that day.

Another tip is to learn your bait(s) through and through to see what it excels at to trigger bites.

Goodluck

You should watch the videos from working class zero on youtube, there's a particular video were he talks about followers and showing them the same bait over and over. They'll get turned off to it, you can't be repetitive and you can't view them as being dumb. The big girls got big for a reason

You may also want to watch the fish themselves when they follow the bait. The way fish follow the bait can mean different things. If they are a couple feet behind your bait then odds are that they were just curious and not actually willing to eat. If the fish is hot on your bait, following its every move and flaring its fins and stuff then you need to be ready.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, Neill Hernandez said:

You should watch the videos from working class zero on youtube, there's a particular video were he talks about followers and showing them the same bait over and over. They'll get turned off to it, you can't be repetitive and you can't view them as being dumb. The big girls got big for a reason

I remember Mike's video of making a cast and a backing off to get more bites and reaching the fishes breaking point. Well, tried that yesterday fishing a baitsmith after months of getting followers and light bites and I managed to catch 2 fish on back2back casts using his strategy. His videos definitely help.

Don’t underestimate a fishes natural instinct to react..when they are following they are interested. But that doesn’t mean they are eaters. So, sometimes, depending on the bait, a sharp twitch, a drop to the bottom and then a quick rip towards the surface will get the fish to naturally react and instinctually attack. When a prey item gets trapped against something, bank, surface, structure it will kick that instinct into high gear. 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:02 PM, ewillsd said:

You may also want to watch the fish themselves when they follow the bait. The way fish follow the bait can mean different things. If they are a couple feet behind your bait then odds are that they were just curious and not actually willing to eat. If the fish is hot on your bait, following its every move and flaring its fins and stuff then you need to be ready.

This^

Getting follows means you are doing something right.  Most of my follows tend to happen under bluebird calm conditions when fish are inactive. I would be concerned if I were getting too many follows during prefrontal windy conditions when I expect to get bit. I would switch up under those circumstances.  Also try something different most peeps from bank throw out and reel in, most boaters do the opposite. Neither tend to throw parallel to the shoreline.  

Try Speeding up the bait 1st...If that doesn't work Try an entirely different angle of retrieve.

*I would advise against making repeated casts in the same Spot/Angle...(If all the fish is willing to do is Follow)

Chances are you missed your opportunity for the time being- even if she continues to "Follow" multiple times, she may just be curious and not hungry

The bigger the bait the better look she is going to get at it and possible not commit due to her feeling something us not right about the "Forage" ; Looks unnatural, shape, etc

Giveing her multiple "Looks" at the same bait running the same angle- will only Educate her on what NOT to bite...

You might even let the Spot rest 15-20+ minutes before returning-Try an entirely Different Angle

If your getting Follows on a glide -you might consider a soft bait of similar or smaller size (And Vise Versa)

If you trying to target 1 or more specific trophy fish-Try to figure out exactly where the fish is coming from once it starts to follow.

Most likely it's calling that area Home...But maybe she doesn't consider it Home 100% of the time due to unique conditions

Keep in mind...She maybe only be coming from the Specific area do to the Conditions (Wind, Cloud cover, etc) 

Hope this Helps ya!