Some baits in the making

El_Weruso

Hello everyone! 

Wanted to share some baits i'm making, i'm doing some testing on some new style baits and this will also be a new thing for me with testing different sink rates on the same style of bait.

I'll be recreating my Weruso gill (Which is a wake and crank that can dive to 5+ feet on a long cast) but also some mini gills i'm calling werito gillrito and a monster Weruso gill. (Contemplating on making molds and pouring resin versions) 

These are progress pics on where i'm at right now, but hopefully i can get them all to their final shapes by the end of next week to begin the cutting, drilling, weighting and start the calibrating portion. There's still a lot of carving, and fine detail work to do. I'll be updating the thread as i go

I'm going slow due to regular stuff like a full time job and I started the school semester -_-

Feel free to ask if you're wondering what's what, or what a certain piece might become.

PS. I forgot which wood i purchased to make these lol And if my werito gillritos come out good i'll be giving one away for free on here to show my appreciation for the swimbait underground community. 

20190803_144648.jpg

IMG_20190904_181941.jpg

IMG_20190904_182046.jpg

IMG_20190909_193922.jpg

Edited by Neill Hernandez

Looks good Neil....from the looks of your pics i would venture to say your'e slipping away into the world of "Swim Bait Addicton"...lol...have been here for over ten years, Iv'e got several boxes with lures in different stages of completion, whatever grabs my fancy at the moment....that becomes the next build...great means to escape ... wouldn't trade it for anything....keep up the good work & post updates....michel...Go Fish!!! 

30 minutes ago, greentrout said:

Are you using a rasp for shaping??

Just using a regular Kobalt utility knife, i use a band saw to remove as much as i can and start using my knife to get the details down. Then a dremel for fine details.

28 minutes ago, surfk9 said:

Looks good Neil....from the looks of your pics i would venture to say your'e slipping away into the world of "Swim Bait Addicton"...lol...have been here for over ten years, Iv'e got several boxes with lures in different stages of completion, whatever grabs my fancy at the moment....that becomes the next build...great means to escape ... wouldn't trade it for anything....keep up the good work & post updates....michel...Go Fish!!! 

Thank you Michel! And the swim bait addiction has been a part of me for a while haha Yeah it's a totally different feeling to get a fish on a personally made bait. Thank you and will do!

I guess it's the bandsaw marks. I was going to give you major props for the rasp use as I love a wood rasp. Great looking baits regardless! Seems all of the site's bait makers are pretty busy as this section has slowed down on updates. Looking forward to seeing more updates!

14 minutes ago, greentrout said:

I guess it's the bandsaw marks. I was going to give you major props for the rasp use as I love a wood rasp. Great looking baits regardless! Seems all of the site's bait makers are pretty busy as this section has slowed down on updates. Looking forward to seeing more updates!

Yeah that was the rough carvings i make with the band saw to reduce as much material possible to avoid carving so much. I do have wood rasps but i use it after i have carved to smooth the surface more then sand from there. Thank you man! And yeah, i'll be updating as much as possible on any new progressions on the baits as i can. 

5 hours ago, greentrout said:

Think everyone’s busy fishing! I know I am when I can, winter time is building time for me in the northeast 

@Neill Hernandez baits look great man. 

I’ve been thinking about grabbing a 1” belt sander for shaping baits. Been watching a lot of knife maker videos and they use 1” belt sander to shape the handle and get some pretty neat shapes and contours, thinking that would speed up my process for some new baits I want to work on. 

@danthefisherman haha yeah I just went for it because 2 very close friends of mine wanted a bluegill wake bait that I've been using recently and to have extra for myself.

@chefchris yeah investing in the cheap band saw I got recently has helped trim down carving time tremendously. The next thing I want is a lead melting dripper pot to help with pouring the lead rather than hammmer away at barely weights and the extra work to get the weights to fit in the cavity's lol

• 2 weeks later...