Some baits in the making

El_Weruso

11 minutes ago, surfk9 said:

Neill I've never poured lead....i use pencil lead that i cut to lengths & insert where needed also use split shot....just never likened to the idea of pouring lead...michel...go Fish!!!

I searched pencil lead and i get the other kind of pencil lead lol mind giving me a link?

baits look sick man,excited to see where they go. 

im against pouring my own lead, IMHO its not worth the $$, time, effort and risks involved. I just buy different plug belly and tail weights and cut em to size if needed, but ideally I use whats already made and make em work for my needs

• 1 month later...

Fair warning it's a slightly long read.

Update: I had gone with using a lead melting pot to pour the weight in the baits and it makes it so much more easier than my old method of hammering out lead weights.

Unfortunately after the 2nd day it caught fire and never worked again, not sure if it was something i did although i know they last forever (Same pot Marlin baits uses). So i had to return it and waited to get another which i received yesterday.

Poured some more weight in baits that weren't sitting in the water correctly as i wanted them to with a few that still need more to sink. 

Some Baits will be floating gliders, floating wake, wake and crank, bottom crawling, wake n crank, slow sink. So a little bit of everything.

The joints with JB weld need to be cleaned up. Also going to carve facial/fin designs in some baits although those details hold little to no importance to me (More of a fishermen appeal factor)

I brought them with me to work to file down the excess lead and weight them with the companies scale. You can see i got 2 weights already down for 2 big baits i'm looking forward to.

The multi joint bait that weights 11.5oz is weighted and carved to never roll on it's side or back. I tried flipping it and tried to get it to land on it's back but the weights bring it back on it's belly instantly.

My main concern right now besides the baits having a desirable action is getting a bill that fits perfectly due to the girth on these baits. I didn't want to sacrifice the girth because it presents a true chunky meal for the bass. And making tails for the baits, might mold and pour some but that's a decision i'm still contemplating. Not the best with plastics/molds

I will still be raffling off a free waking bluegill once i'm all done

IMG_20191121_070043.jpg

Whos gunna paint those?

If you let me help I want to give it a shot...I have been working on my skills and still have a long way to go...

I don't own an airbrush or anything...just some Spray cans and creativity...Wouldn't charge anything just need the Practice

Pic is my most rercent personal project

IMG_2899.jpg

31 minutes ago, LUV-2-CATCH'EM said:

Whos gunna paint those?

If you let me help I want to give it a shot...I have been working on my skills and still have a long way to go...

I don't own an airbrush or anything...just some Spray cans and creativity...Wouldn't charge anything just need the Practice

Pic is my most rercent personal project

IMG_2899.jpg

Sounds good man, i have some in mind that'll go to basshole and defeesh but nothing is firm until i'm happy with they're action and they actually work! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

An update: Things are moving slow with limited time to work on these, Bought a lexan board to cut lips for some wake/crank baits i'm making. Cut tail slots, Drilled tail pin holes, added more wait to some baits, covered all the holes and sanded the excess J&B Weld. I'm hoping the lipped gills swim as good as my first one. All that's left besides tuning and praying half the baits swim is to make a mold to pour tails. Learning a lot as i go, i'm sure my next batch will be much better executed. 

IMG_20200113_073515[1].jpg

Edited by El_Weruso

7 minutes ago, El_Weruso said:

An update: Things are moving slow with limited time to work on these, Bought a lexan board to cut lips for some wake/crank baits i'm makings. Cut tail slots, Drilled tail pin holes, added more wait to some baits, covered all the holes and sanded the excess J&B Weld. I'm hoping the lipped gills swim as good as my first one. All that's left besides tuning and praying half the baits swim is to make a mold to pour tails. Learning a lot as i go, i'm sure my next batch will be much better executed. 

IMG_20200113_073515[1].jpg

Thats awesome man! I couldnt imagine keeping track of that many builds at once 

@TootsMalone It's been tough! Ironically i'm more excited for the smaller baits, making a 3.5" waking gill for the lady to fish with and a 4" glide. Going with a denser wood the next time to avoid having to pour so much lead. Still contemplating on making carvings in the bait to create gills/fins and such.

Edited by El_Weruso

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Progress has slowed down with the tuning process as some of you mentioned lol But here's a swim vie on a multi piece gill I've made amongst many other baits. Love the head and tail movement with this one. My biggest dilemma is making a tail mold to pour my own tails