Palomar knot and switching baits

Booyacuh

The Palomar is my trusted knot. For those who use it, do you use a snap for all your baits to quickly change lures? Or if you tie directly, do you use braid with a topshot or leader? I’ve been tying directly but feel like I’m using too much line if I switch out lures 3+ times a day. I love braid but I‘m not confident about using it with big baits yet unless they’re floaters. Would like to use snaps but not sure if I could trust those either. I wouldn’t mind tossing the snap after a day or switching out lures a few times. Do you guys just respool after using 40-50% of the line? 

Be careful with snaps I usually marry the snap to the bait. Opening it seems to weaken em a bit but maybe these more modern snaps don't have this issue.....have never tried Palomar ever, it always seemed too complicated for me. That's alot of work to do at night too if you fish then.....my issue is the discernible mark left when I cinch down fluoro using uni or improved clinch even after wetting it with spit. It doesn't affect strength but can't be good. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

Palomar has been my bread and butter knot for the last 30 years. Have had very few failures, but chalk it up to bad line I should of changed.  As long as I am using good line cutting and retying, I never remember losing a bait. Never used a snap or split ring unless it came on the bait. Now using braid and winding up with a wind knot at the tip of the rod is catastrophic and makes your guts turn. 

On 11/8/2019 at 1:49 AM, Tony91723 said:

Ever consider an SD knot? Less line usage going into your knot tying.  

I used to use the Double Palomer for everything from senkos to frogs to the big baits. I switched to the San Diego Jam for everything but braid. Best know in my book for everything but braid once you learn how to tie it well. The SD Jam has proven itself to me to the extent I even use it for fly fishing.

I tie a palomar knot for everything as well and sometimes add an extra overhand knot on the top to bring the tag end back towards the bait on more weedless applications like Jinxd12 mentioned in their comment. Cut and re-tie to whichever bait I'm switching to. Certain baits I do fish with a snap but that snap stays on that bait. To me I'm so used to cutting and re-tieing that it's almost the same amount of time it would take to undo the snap and clip onto another bait but that's just my opinion.

Line is much cheaper than rods, reel, or baits.  If you re-tie 3 times a day you are probably cutting off around 18" of line which is only a few cents worth.  Regardless of the cost, its just good practice to routinely cut off some of the high wear area which is generally the first couple of feet.