Cold Weather Gloves

danthefisherman

12 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

With the colder weather approaching I was wondering what sort of gloves you all wear to help keep your hands warm and fingers thawed on the water. Any particular brands or products I should look into? Would want it to be fingerless to retain some sensitivity. Thanks!

Dan

Not a lot of cold weather fishing here but I have these for when I fish in cold places

https://m.orvis.com/category/fishing-gloves-socks/8L07/

Honestly I've tried a bunch of things, went the waterproof route, the insulated warm route, and the no gloves route. And what I settled on in the end are the dirt cheapest fleece fingerless gloves you can find. Buy like 5 pairs and change them out as they get soaked or dirty. They give you dexterity and the fleece stays warm even when a little wet. I'll throw a hand warmer in if it gets really cold and another in my sleeve by my arteries. And make sure you keep your core and head/neck as warm as you can too. 

For super cold temps, I use the NRS Hydroskin 1.0 (thinner than the 2.0).

I cut slits on the thumb, index and middle finger so I can poke the tips out to tie knots.

The NRS Hydroskin 2.0 added the slits but also put grabby velcro tabs to hold the tips folded back when finger tips are exposed (totally unnecessary IMHO).   

These gloves are thin enough so you can close your palm without much effort.

Also looking at the handwarmer sleeves the NFL Quarterbacks wear for quick breaks. 

The gloves I finally settled on are a SIMMS Guide Windbloc glove. The thrub, index, and middle finger all offer the ability to fold over so you can still have dexterity to tie knots and thumb the spool. I wear a pair of nitrile gloves under them to keep the water off my skin.

1 hour ago, hookedonbigbaits said:

The gloves I finally settled on are a SIMMS Guide Windbloc glove. The thrub, index, and middle finger all offer the ability to fold over so you can still have dexterity to tie knots and thumb the spool. I wear a pair of nitrile gloves under them to keep the water off my skin.

Can not agree more, Simms designs for extreme fishing

I use Firm Grip work gloves fro Home Depot. Not exactly cold weather gloves, but I use toe warmers in them and I fish plenty in the mid 20s. They’re thin enough I don’t feel I lose any sensitivity. They actually grip my rod much better when wet. And toe warmers way over hand warmers....they’re super thin and heat up in seconds. Theyre sticky on one side and will stick to the inside of the glove. The combo keeps my hands pretty warm to the coldest fishing temps.