I dont get fiberglass bass boats

basssavage24/7

Growing up in the northwest I've mostly been surrounded with jet boats. 

One of my childhood friend's dad's has a jet boat built on a bass boat frame it was made was made in the late 90's. The thing pretty sweet. I just don't understand the appeal of fiberglass bass boats

Because with jet boats you can jump over a beaver down jump over a sandbar we've gone up creeks that we have no business a boat should be in.   The Lakes flooded with a sea of floating Timber no problem.

Need to park just plow on to the bank. High centered on a boulder throw it in reverse. Put a hole in your bottom of your boat just reweld it. 

I see all those things as a plus I've never understood having a $50,000 plus fiberglass boat that can be total by hitting a stump. 

So what is the appealing is it smoothness is it the cost of Maintenance with jet boats. 

My friends dad's boat we can take it to Hell Canyon on some Raging Rivers or go to the local Lake and Runnin and gunnin up creeks with no issues.

It's a boat made out of aluminum that is powered by jet propulsion motor so it's  propless so you don't have to worry about your motor being ripped off by a river Boulder. They can travel and 4to6 in of water because of this. 

Most of them are set up for steelhead fishing and salmon fishing. My friend's dad instead of doing that way wanted it on a bass boat frame the company at the time only built 5 in the world.

19 minutes ago, Scrambass said:

Not everyone is from the northwest. Imagine growing up on deep SoCal reservoir lakes. You'll understand then. 

I will say that's true there's probably no need for a boat like that living in the desert. But still from west to east everyone fishes in fiberglass bass boats.

That's what I'm having a hard time understanding. I just feel like I'm missing something. That maybe there's more to it.

Like ride ability, or something. I think maybe it's just me. It just seems so alien because of where I live I. Would take the Jon Boat over the fiberglass bass boat. 

Just because I can get into places where no fiberglass boats can go and would not have to worry constantly about sinking my boat.

Most bass boats are like cadillacs, sounds like you need a motocross boat. We don't have the backwater stuff in our area that you might, mostly reservoir style lakes. I like my glass boat in big water and bad wind. My Ranger has so much foam in it I don't think it would sink.

Pretty much conditions your fishing is what dictates your boat needs, most people who fish for bass need/want to get to the next spot in a hurry in a lake setting... what you are describing is stream/river fishing which dictates the need for no lower end hanging down in the water.

Most bass boat are built for speed and comfort, jet boats are built to take a beating in shallow water with many hazards.

15 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Pretty much conditions your fishing is what dictates your boat needs, most people who fish for bass need/want to get to the next spot in a hurry in a lake setting... what you are describing is stream/river fishing which dictates the need for no lower end hanging down in the water.

Most bass boat are built for speed and comfort, jet boats are built to take a beating in shallow water with many hazards.

I think that's why I like my friend's dad's boat so much you get the best out of both world. You do sit up a little bit higher. Than regular bass boats, but that's so can run up and down rapids. Also you have a higher platform when you're casting too. 

It's pretty fast too definitely not going to be the most comfortable ride though. Definitely wouldn't be as terrified fishing on a lake that has some giant swells coming in.

I think when I do end up getting a big boat I end up going to go this route I think it'll be pretty cool I can tackle just about any situation on any given body of water.

Edited by basssavage24/7

I think it definitely depends on the locations you fish. Most of the lakes that I fish, the shallowest the boat ever gets is about 20 feet, so depth isn’t really a problem. The biggest reason I prefer a fiberglass bass boat over an aluminum boat is for wind and waves. I started out with a 17 foot tracker and now have an 18 foot skeeter and the difference in how stable they are in wind is crazy. In my opinion, they make riding in rough conditions way more comfortable and more importantly feels safer. 

Thanks for everyone's input you guys have changed my mind. I realized the problem I was just using my experiences of having been living in the northwest and never leaving the northwest as the issue. 

We have rainforest lakes Rivers  ocean mountaintops and deserts and flatspots all located in small section of the U.S. with abundance of cold and warm water species. I feel very blessed to have all these angling opportunities. Even if the odds of catching a dd are stack against me.

I forgot how lots of parts of the country are not as diverse. It's starting really sink in how blessed I really am for where I live.

In Pa. I know several guys that own jet boats.Most a are custom made.Basiclly sleds with a 200hp modified inboard that sticks up through the back deck and coved with what they call a dog box. The hulls are reinforced with a 3/8in polyvinyl sheet almost like teflon.The boats are pretty much indestructible and can go anywhere.If you run the Susquehanna River they are a must.However,if you mostly fish lakes glass boats have it hands down.They are more stable, roomier decks, less likely to be influenced by wind and better storage.

Like others mentioned, it all depends where your gonna fish.