Rods for shellcrackers

Alex

Hey SU,

I picked some Shellcrackers/G2 and curious to know Which rod or rods would you recommend for these baits? They’re not that heavy so my swimbait rods are too heavy in my opinion....like to know what you guys are using.

thanks Alex 

For me, the Champion 806 works well. But some insight first....I essentially have two different 806s. An xp, which is a bit stiff but works ok. Then I have a way old 806 with the grey blank(you’ve prob never seen one). That one is even way more limber and parabolic. That one is really good for it. However, I just snagged a champion 794 that I feel is going to be PERFECT for it, although I hate losing the length. I think you wanna make sure most of all that you’re getting a parabolic rod. Something that flexes super deep. A soft tip alone might cast well and get good hooksets, but you’re gonna lose fish. 

I’ve thrown mine on the OG Okuma Guide Select 7’11” H and MH Guide Select swimbait rods. Either works but the lighter and softer MH works best - at night it is sensitive enough to feel the G2 working and still has the backbone needed to give a fish some stick when it is called for.

As somebody mentioned Karl has a vid for G2. I went with his recommendation and ordered the falcon cranking rod he recommended.  Def go with fiberglass with the g2, it is just so much fun feeling the rod load up.  

Edited by bigpoppabass

On 12/28/2019 at 3:56 AM, chefchris said:

I used my Phenix M1 1-6oz for em when I had it. Casted em with ease. 

i throw em now on an F5 806 and it’s a great small wakebait/g2 rod paired with a Daiwa millionaire sw 203. 

35 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

Which model F5 are you using?

Sorry, to clarify I guess that I should be asking which series of F5 rod, you clearly stated the 806 MH model.

10 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Sorry, to clarify I guess that I should be asking which series of F5 rod, you clearly stated the 806 MH model.

I have the F5 outbreak 806, sweet light rod, but I’d get the MVT 806 instead next time. I like the build and action better on the MVT line but that outbreak 806 has been a killer rod 

I throw it on the same rod that I use to throw a 130 size Whopper Plopper which would be my  Daiwa Tatula Ellite 7'4" MH Randy Howell casting rod. It is rated for lures up to 1-3/8 oz but I can sling a Strike King Mega Dawg walking bait which weighs 2 oz with it. That said I wouldn't throw anything heavier than that. Daiwa list this as a " regular " action.    I got it late last summer but so far it  is light and comfortable and seems to do a good job keeping the fished pinned on topwater walking baits.  Very happy with it so far. 

Thank you all for your help! I have an old crucial swimbait rod but I feel it’s too heavy for the bait, great for hudds or my sWaver but that’s about it....might look into the Fenwick or dobyns 794.....
side question- what do you guys recommend for the baitsanity? Too heavy for my crucial which is rated 5-8oz (over rated) 

thanks and happy new year!!!