My first attempt at a glide

JoeDemo81

Been working on this for a couple months now.  Think I am happy with the look now and want to try resin for the first time.  Any product recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Pros and Cons of which brand for mold and resin.  Any tricks that would help get through the learning curve would also be great.     Thank you2E63B81D-C48E-4AEB-BC6F-E5849C575244.thumb.jpeg.0235c5ae1c397e02675d50e90718bbac.jpeg

Looks good!  When ballasting, make sure both halves sink at the same rate, independent of each other, to keep the joint from binding and help it glide.  Fix as many blemishes on the master now, get it as close to perfect as you can,  so you don't have to clean/touch up every one after they come out of the molds.

Thank you.      Just cant make up my mimd between alumilite or smooth-on.   Have heard positives and negatives on both.   Dont know if just personal preferences or not.  Thing I like so far about the alumilite is that I can get a kit with everything I need in it to start.  Hear the Smooth-on molds and resin are better but far as I can tell I have to figure out what I need and buy separately.  

Looking good man. You cant really go wrong with either product. It has its own learning curve around it. You'll have to work with which product you decide to chose. Plus theres a handful of different silicone and resin that both those brands carry.

I personally like smooth-on silicone and alumilite resin. Alumilite is a bit on the softer side and after a couple of mold it gets really hot and the bait would tend to expand, but it's really durable. With smooth-on, the silicone is more on the firmer side and it can make twice or more than alumilite before it starts to expand. But I haven't had a problem with smooth-on doing that yet. I'll make 5 mold of alumilite compare to about 10 with smooth-on. But I do notice smooth-on will start to break and/or crack after about 2 dozen molds or so. Maybe because I dont use a mold release, who knows.  But that's a good number for me so I'm fine with it. 

Silicones are, smooth-on oomoo30 amd alumilite high strength 3.

Edited by Rogervang

2 hours ago, SDBasser said:

That thing looks great. Sick job Joe!!! I have been wanting to make one myself but have no tools lol

Thank you.   Still playing with it before creating a mold.   To be honest only power tools I used was a jig saw to cut out the shape and a drill for the eyes.  Did all the shaping with utility knife, rasp & sandpaper.    Cut joint with a fine tooth hand saw.  

Edited by JoeDemo81
Left out information

On 1/21/2020 at 1:58 AM, Rogervang said:

Looking good man. You cant really go wrong with either product. It has its own learning curve around it. You'll have to work with which product you decide to chose. Plus theres a handful of different silicone and resin that both those brands carry.

I personally like smooth-on silicone and alumilite resin. Alumilite is a bit on the softer side and after a couple of mold it gets really hot and the bait would tend to expand, but it's really durable. With smooth-on, the silicone is more on the firmer side and it can make twice or more than alumilite before it starts to expand. But I haven't had a problem with smooth-on doing that yet. I'll make 5 mold of alumilite compare to about 10 with smooth-on. But I do notice smooth-on will start to break and/or crack after about 2 dozen molds or so. Maybe because I dont use a mold release, who knows.  But that's a good number for me so I'm fine with it. 

Silicones are, smooth-on oomoo30 amd alumilite high strength 3.

Great advice.   Thank you for the reply.  Definitely leaning towards the smooth on for the mold and Manns mold release.  Going to try and order everything in the next couple of weeks.