What do with my 10" FS Trout -- looking for input

Top Ramen

The situation: I recently got a sinking 10" FS Trout in white. It swims beautifully, in fact, it's smoother than the FS Shad or the FS Herrings I used to have. The problem is that its painted in white, which almost glows in the crystal clear water here and the paint job is a mess. I think it's an early one; it's signed and numbered '10'.

I sent a message to Mickey asking if he could repaint it but never heard back. So, I sent it off to Brock to get painted. I had assumed I would get it painted in a shad pattern since that is one of the primary types of large forage here and it fits the profile of the bait -- our shad get the size of dinner plates. Today I was thinking that maybe I should have it painted in a bluegill pattern. The bait has a big profile and the way it swims would work well for a gill. My only real concern is that a 10" gill might intimidate even a double digit fish. The gills in Lake Austin are bad mo-fos. Meanest/toughest fish I have ever seen.

So, thoughts? Which pattern would be best - shad or gill? Is it too big to be a gill?

Thanks!

I throw Big gill baits alot and they get smoked. I have a couple of my 9.5" wakebaits in that color and they are great too. Theres something about that color pattern they like. I had a striper posted up last year with one of my gill wakes hanging off its face I think. I would vote for the gill, but thats a cofidence thing for me. Delta bass chomp em.. and redear. Do a female gill pattern with muted colors and it could pass for a bluegill or shad. I think that would make a sick 10" Freestyler, but whatever you do youll have a bad a$$ bait bro, good luck

10 inch freestyle in bass would be pretty sweet.

I've caught bass here in Wisconsin on a 10 inch freestyle so throw it with confidence down there whatever color you go with.

+1

10' FS would be Sweet!!!!!

But between Shad or Gill. I would go with the Shad pattern.

You already sent it off to get painted like a shad. I think the trout shape will work better as a shad then it would a bluegill. I think you'll be fine and should fish it with confidence.

Agreed.

That 10" in a shad patter would be a dead ringer for the big gizzard shad we have here.

Part of what is making me think about getting painted as a gill is that I have a sinking BA in kokanee that is a pretty good shad imitator already.

BTW, if that koke BA was an 8" bait it would be getting crushed by big fish all the time [looking in your direction, Mickey. ; 0 ) ]

The situation: I recently got a sinking 10" FS Trout in white. It swims beautifully, in fact, it's smoother than the FS Shad or the FS Herrings I used to have. The problem is that its painted in white, which almost glows in the crystal clear water here and the paint job is a mess. I think it's an early one; it's signed and numbered '10'.

I sent a message to Mickey asking if he could repaint it but never heard back. So, I sent it off to Brock to get painted. I had assumed I would get it painted in a shad pattern since that is one of the primary types of large forage here and it fits the profile of the bait -- our shad get the size of dinner plates. Today I was thinking that maybe I should have it painted in a bluegill pattern. The bait has a big profile and the way it swims would work well for a gill. My only real concern is that a 10" gill might intimidate even a double digit fish. The gills in Lake Austin are bad mo-fos. Meanest/toughest fish I have ever seen.

So, thoughts? Which pattern would be best - shad or gill? Is it too big to be a gill?

Thanks!

Should have just fished it. I use to get all hung up on this stuff and I don't think color matters as much as we think it does.

White baits get smoked in gin clear water, so do pink, chartreuse, red etc...I don't think it would have mattered if it is a blue gill or white.

I catch a ton of fish on an all white sons, paintless hudds in water with 15-30ft visibility...same with pink and chartreuse...if they are going to eat it then they are going to eat it whether it is zebra striped or blue gill pattern. Either way you are still going to have a nice paint job

Should have just fished it.

I did. Got nothing, not even a follower.

If it still doesn't suit your needs after painting, I'd gladly take it off your hands. Trade, build or buy.

Mike

Should have just fished it.

I did. Got nothing, not even a follower.

lol. I can't count the number of times In have fished a hudd or a son or any other swimbait for that matter and not got a follower...doesn't mean it doesn't work. Could be just wrong place wrong time...or it could also just not be the right bait for your style of fishing; but that is a whole different topic.