JKLym

I am very new to Swimbait Underground and swimbait making in general, and was wondering if anybody could lend some tips on casting resin baits.  I have Alumalite high strength 2 for the mold and am familiar with Rtv silicone and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for a mixture of micro balloons  to resin and where to pour the lead.  

Thanks, 

John 

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 8.14.33 PM.png

I've made a few glide baits now but only one of them out of resin. From what i've tested, 9% MB will get you real close to a usable buoyancy. So if your mixing a total of 48g resin (both A and B, ) add 4.32g of MB. I'm sure there's better mixes out there and it isnt exactly what i do but it's where i started. As for weight, you want both sections to sink at an equal rate, when they are separated from each other. i try to keep a majority of the weight as close to the joint as possible while still letting both halves sink level.

There are others here with a whole lot more experience on this subject so maybe they will chime in but this is what I've gathered so far. Good luck and keep up the good work! Your'e off to a great start. 

I've been working with resin baits for a good number of years now. Not am expert yet by any means, but at least I've learned a lot from my mistakes haha

In the past I have always measured my resin/microballoon ratios by volume, but I've been wanting to transition to weight ratios as volume doesn't take into account how "packed in" the materials are into your measuring device. That said, I have found that a good ratio for glides is anywhere between 50% and 100% microballons by volume. So say you mix 1oz Part A to 1oz Part B: a 100% ratio by volume would call for 2oz microballons (working with fluid ounces). I think Alumilite mentions somewhere in their manual that 100% microballons by volume produces a resin with the buoyancy of wood. Depending on the size of the bait, I tend to stick with 100% microballons as it allows me to add more ballast weight for stability while still achieving the same sink rate. If you're bait is smaller and has thin features, I'd decrease amount of microballons added as to not decrease the strength of the material too much.

As far as ballast placement goes, a lot of it you'll have to figure out by trial and error. Placing lead can tie a lot into joint play and where you're hardware is going to be located. I've found that the more lead you place near the joint, the easier the bait cuts side to side especially on a steady retrieve. If all your weight is in the middle, however, the bait will act like a teeter totter and nod up and down on the pause...so adding weight near the ends is important to stabilize it. At the end of the day, it's all about finding that perfect balance. The good thing with resin baits is that you get as many chances as you want (or your wallet allows haha :D)

That's all I can think to share now. The bait looks awesome by the way... you definitely have the carving portion of bait building down pat. Happy building and keep it up!

Dan

Like @danthefisherman I too use to measure by volume. I later on got a scale and measure what the 100% volume of microballoon were and recorded that into my ingredient book haha it works and if I did wanted something less buoyant I'll reduce the MB by gram depending on what the application is, if that makes any sense. A scale would be you best friend when messing with mix ratios. 

Theres some good options here on ballast placement but really every bait is weighted different. What works for someone is totally different to another. Ballast placement differ from shape and form of the bait (tall, short, stubby, long, single joint, multi joint, ect.) Mess around with the weight placement and you'll find what works for you. If your drilling your holes, make sure you drill them as straight as possible. Drawing a guide line helps a lot. Balance is key. Have fun doing it and dont get too fustraighted like us all hahaha 

By the way, that's an awesome looking bait you got there. Cant wait to see how it's going to look once it finish. 

thanks to everyone for the advice,  i am happy i started this project now since ill have the rest of the winter to really dial in the action.  i started off painting blanks like Jointed claws etc and am defiantly loving the resin baits.   I think a dynamite color for that would be this golden shiner pattern that i have done a few times the bass seem to love it. 

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 2.34.44 PM.png

Looks really good, adding a broad tail should create more surface space as it cuts side to side through the water and push it further side to side. Generally a longer glide will have a wider swim. Also if there is a lot of articulation in the joint that can contribute to a narrower and harder cutting action, you may want to try less play in the joint to achieve a wider swim.