OK, what's the deal with rats?

flaswimbaiter

The baddest one I've seen is the PB and Morning Wood (available in so cal shops).....they make them out of a certain type of cedar and use BIG screw eyes for the joint connections which gives them an incredible resonant 'clack'. Also when you pick up the pace (say medium speed) the water rushing through the joint slot makes this "dinner bell" gurgle thats to die for. The Nezummas done its share of damage but if you notice on STE the original "money" rat was made from wood. Its my personal feeling but I don't think anyones matched the action and sound of the wood rats with urethane......not yet anyway.

Personally I don't even know if the bass know for sure that its looking at a mouse, rat, squirrel...but there's no denying that slithering worm tail in combination with the water displacement looks very "alive" and puts off a different vibration then a traditional fish imitating wake like a slammer or wake jr.

J my 2 cents....

JK

RAT BAITS!??!?!? They dont work! :lol::lol::lol:

List of rats I use

My own

Mini SLammer

I like the mini slammer because I can really walk them and they look good on the slow roll. I havent had any that dont work but I can see how wood density changes could effect it. When I pick slammers I hold all off them that are on the peg and feel for the lightest ones. This bait has a cool small profile which I like better for twiching and deadsticking.

The big boy. :D I have been finding out that my 7.5" rats (6ozs) and my 6.5" rats (4.5-5oz) get about the same amount of looks but more fish commit to the bigger one. And it has more drawing power, but this still surprised me. I use a Mag trick worm tail most of the time so the baits about 15". These baits (big rat) have a crazy amount of drawing power and everything comes to take a look. I throw them like I throw most everything else, crank and crash into and rip them out of cover. most of the really good ones come from floating cover, docks, mats, trashpiles(my favorite). I will slow roll them like a hudd when its cloudy and do really well too. Barely cranking the handle on one of my suspending baits. Also fish it aggressively like matt peters was doing with a TT in STE. Basically I thorw them everywhere all the time :D and they always have produced... and BIG ONES. something about a big rodent big girls really like.

The big rats are a steady producer for me all year most of the time... fish it on braid! I catch all the swipers now... alot of fish just flash or swipe it and braid help hook them when they do that on a pause. (sub-surface)

hope this helps :lol: kinda long sorry.. i have a thing for the rodent kind I guess

Dave, I've only started down the slippery slope of rat fishing last fall but as soon as I got a PB rat, I quickly traded my XL Nez (which I thought was badass when I first started fishing it) for another PB. Thanks Wayne!!! :D

The 3 pc wood pb rat makes way more noise and displacement than the 2 pc bait. But the 2 pc is best for sitting in one spot and really pissing the fish off. I think of the 3 pc as more of a search bait - almost like a buzzbait - for covering flats, and the 2 pc for cover oriented fish.

Are the original rago rats decent? They are fairly inexpensive and are sold at my local tackle store. Thinking about buying one to try out...

The only one I have fished is the Sewer Rat, I have had 2 of them and my first one swam a little better for some reason. The one I have now actually floats crooked at rest. But still works.You can't do the struggling panic move mentioned earlier in the post and it doesn't clack. They are a slow presentation, I creep it along very slow or twitch pause. It doesn't slap well or crank under too good. Mine will roll over if I crank it to fast but with that being said once I learned how to fish it, it became pretty productive. It gets bit. I think it's decent but if you can find/ afford a PB or a Nez those are the ones to have I think. I'm no rat expert tho by any means.

Are the original rago rats decent? They are fairly inexpensive and are sold at my local tackle store. Thinking about buying one to try out...

the ones in the local tackle shops are most likely the cheaper injected ones and i like those more then the sewer rat.....they are slow rollers and they do crank down good. you can twitch 'em pretty good too. the best are the wood ones though. and also the dirty rat.

I wouldn't use either of those criteria to determine which rat to buy. That hollow injected chinese made "thing" bears no resemblance to Ragos originals. The PB's and Morning Woods run vastly better than anything I've seen Ragos name on these days.

JK

I wouldn't use either of those criteria to determine which rat to buy. That hollow injected chinese made "thing" bears no resemblance to Ragos originals. The PB's and Morning Woods run vastly better than anything I've seen Ragos name on these days.

JK

hey jfish can u not see that he's a kid and probably is "using those criteria" because he doesn't have a ton of cash to spend on a swimbait? oh but i forgot that u are a well known rago hater so i guess i can see why you're all bunched up.

JK

hey jfish can u not see that he's a kid and probably is "using those criteria" because he doesn't have a ton of cash to spend on a swimbait? oh but i forgot that u are a well known rago hater so i guess i can see why you're all bunched up.

He's just trying to offer the guy some advice. I'm sure Zach doesn't want to buy a bait that will break on him. Recommending a chitty bait is worse than telling him to save his cash and get something of quality. I also don't see Jfish getting "all bunched up" just offering advice. Seems like you're just trying to start something. Looks more like you're getting bunched up... I think I should just stop there... I don't see a point in arguing with someone who has "d nuts sac" on their profile.