Top Hook Glide Baits

jordan

Hey fellas, I want to try throwing big baits over brush piles, but am concerned I'm going to get snagged a lot.

Are there any reasonably priced top hook glide baits out there? Or I could just keep the glides well above the brush and see if I can draw them out. Or should I just stick to soft baits, especially weedless ones?

Thanks for any tips you might share.

10 hours ago, chefchris said:

I saw that Ike (I think) made one of the new storm arashi glides into a top hook, think it was in his IG or YT channel 

Found it: 

Interesting deal, that hook seems a little big, and I don't need that much weight, but this might be worth trying, thanks

ABE7A80A-CF3E-4FE9-93CF-F7303F18FE18.jpeg.e8907a1553b2e107260d8f894574d9c7.jpeg

I made one with a swaver and it works great.  I’d recommend using heavy braid not wire like I did.  And an old magdraft magnet is really ideal.  Drill it in if you want but I did it so I was able to take it off and have a regular swaver.

3905313E-67AF-473D-A964-C7F9F2BC7A51.png

To me that just looks like too much hardware, If I was gonna go top hook I'd BB rig it personally. I'm sure fish will still go after it but I can't imagine having a big bullet weight and frog hook hanging off isn't going to limit the action of the bait a bit. I've never tried it though so who knows. 

I improved on this some more, it's actually fishable now. Got some strong, tiny magnets off Amazon, drilled holes in the bait, and glued the magnets in. I'd like to source some good double hooks for this rig, I don't love how the single st46's look but I'm making progress. Hopefully I can fish it soon, the weather has been ish and the water is chocolate milk...

E857B530-EDC9-4D64-8191-21E040A237D3.jpeg

3AA35AA2-3DBD-4FED-9349-012D3F432741.jpeg