Deps 175 question

dean_d

4 hours ago, SKSlide said:

Always liked the 175 myself and it glides pretty good. Using 200 and 300 sized reels..15 to 17# pline - no issues. Split ring,  not direct tie. It is not the most amazing glide on the planet action wise but it's good. Never had an issue with new style or OG. 

I put a split ring on and downsized my line and gunna try on a faster reel this weekend see if that does the trick

7 minutes ago, dean_d said:

I put a split ring on and downsized my line and gunna try on a faster reel this weekend see if that does the trick

I hope it does ! I really like the 175. Its not a bait that won't blow out but if you adjust the line size and use a split ring I think you'll be fine if you fish it slow and methodical. You can always give it quick pops too..let me know what happens ! Good luck my friend.

I throw both the new style/ABS and OG/foam body 175 Slide Swimmer... I personally prefer the swim on the new style. They all do swim a little differently, you gotta find the sweet spot with your cadence. I use a slower gear ratio reel (TranX 300 5.8:1 or Ryoga Shrapnel 6.2:1)  with a larger reel handle (100mm+). Split ring to the line tie is a must. Out of the box, the 175 has a faster sink rate than a Deps 250. Stock hooks are size 1 if you decide to swap out hooks down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely fish with a lighter line on the 175, I either run 65 lb braid to leader or straight 15 floro. Anything heavier than 15lb diameter really tends to kill the action.  The og's swim pretty good on a straight retrieve, haven't had any experience with the new ones though.

• 2 weeks later...

Smash a large split shot flat and slip that under the skin at the chin.  That will keep the injected models from nosing up.  A steady retrieve doesn't work very well, but thats true of most glides.  I rarely use the rod to get a 175 to glide well.  Just use an erratic cranking pattern with the reel handle.  Half a turn, pause, 2 fast turns, pause, one medium turn, slow down, etc.  If you can find some clear water spend 15 minutes getting to know the bait rather than fishing it.  Take short casts where you can see the bait, point the rod at the bait, and vary your reeling cadence while watching what the bait does.  When you have the feel of it down, go fish it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, waynem said:

Smash a large split shot flat and slip that under the skin at the chin.  That will keep the injected models from nosing up.  A steady retrieve doesn't work very well, but thats true of most glides.  I rarely use the rod to get a 175 to glide well.  Just use an erratic cranking pattern with the reel handle.  Half a turn, pause, 2 fast turns, pause, one medium turn, slow down, etc.  If you can find some clear water spend 15 minutes getting to know the bait rather than fishing it.  Take short casts where you can see the bait, point the rod at the bait, and vary your reeling cadence while watching what the bait does.  When you have the feel of it down, go fish it.

Yes, exactly. When I first started using the 175.....like 2 weeks ago, that’s the first thing I did. I figured out the habits of the lure. I spent about an hour messing around with cadence, rod movements, snaps/split rings/straight tie. I have 2 new style 175’s that are totally different. Both slow sink. One, I have to use a snap straight to the line tie. The other, snap to a split ring on the line tie. Biggest advice, from my limited experience compared to most of these cats, is time spent experimenting with a bunch of the above variables. 

• 1 month later...

Either go light mono/copoly/floro in the 12 -17lb range or go braid to leader. With braid you get a really quick response from the bait and it seems like it’s much easier to work