Deps 175 question

dean_d

I've pretty much just fished soft plastics, drt and sly gills. I just got a deps 175 x su and took it fishing right out of the package I didn't think the action looked good at all I thought the bait was supposed to glide. I was thinking my reels too slow maybe? I was fishing it on a conquest 300 5.1 gear ratio. Anyone got any suggestions because I couldn't really get the bait to do anything short of sink lol

when i was downsizing to learn how to catch swimbait fish, i really had to play with line size.

I had an OG and a new style they were both the same for me, i think i was throwing it on 17# big game, and i changes the hooks out. 

Also it wasnt really a straight retrieve bait, reminds me of the GC 178. When i changed the hooks to lighter hooks, it suspended a bit. I could jerk it around like the GC kind of, but it didnt dart as much. 

Lighter line, a quick snap, and lighter hooks are my recommendations!

When I first tried my 175 I was disappointed. It was direct to the line tie. I added a split ring to the nose and it was a whole new bait. Not sure if you have tried that, but changed the bait completely for me

6 minutes ago, greentrout said:

When I first tried my 175 I was disappointed. It was direct to the line tie. I added a split ring to the nose and it was a whole new bait. Not sure if you have tried that, but changed the bait completely for me

I tied directly as well, what type of reels are you guys tossing it on as well I feel like I'm not picking enough line up to get the action out of the lure I've been tossing it on 17lb line too. 

Always liked the 175 myself and it glides pretty good. Using 200 and 300 sized reels..15 to 17# pline - no issues. Split ring,  not direct tie. It is not the most amazing glide on the planet action wise but it's good. Never had an issue with new style or OG.