3 Piece Bream Swim

DoomDiver

A couple pictures from my first multi-jointed bait. The action was much better before the clear coat but I learned a lot from this build! This has been done for months now but only just got open water to get a video of the action.

IMG_4588.thumb.JPG.92fbf7e75e606b039ce431e174194713.JPG

IMG_4615.thumb.JPG.591ee5e43a7b2c0b195c7496f169a324.JPG

IMG_4632.thumb.JPG.97295d0a9cb34257ecb4689af31cc747.JPG

IMG_4854.thumb.JPG.49bf3027434fa64cb3f269eff7f5455a.JPG

3 hours ago, Wykyd B8 said:

Looking good! I have found that if you use epoxy it can alter the action because its soo thick and actually adds considerable weight compared to other topcoats. 

Yea and I didn't account for the thickness with this one unfortunately. I pinned the joints instead of doing a double loop connection so the slots where the loops go got gummed up with the epoxy so it isn't as free as it could be. I wanted really clean joints but next time I'll make sure they're open more to allow for more freedom. 

What topcoat do you use? I've found lots of the dipped ones don't seem to hold up as well as the two part epoxy. 

41 minutes ago, DoomDiver said:

Yea and I didn't account for the thickness with this one unfortunately. I pinned the joints instead of doing a double loop connection so the slots where the loops go got gummed up with the epoxy so it isn't as free as it could be. I wanted really clean joints but next time I'll make sure they're open more to allow for more freedom. 

What topcoat do you use? I've found lots of the dipped ones don't seem to hold up as well as the two part epoxy. 

Epoxy in general is really tough. A lot of musky guys use epoxy. The only drawbacks are what we already discussed and once you break through the epoxy either hook rash or crack it tends to peel off and its hard to fix and make it look decent.

I personally use 2k auto clear. It is not as tuff but it glosses up nice is uv stable and I can just spray another coat on if any issues come up.

The MCU's (Moisture cured urethane) like KBS is really durable and strong I just have issues storing it. I have tried bloxygen, taping the can blah blah blah and it still cures up on me wasting a lot of it. Also if you do not dry and put thin coats of paint it can bubble and ruin your paint job. But if you can get past that I think its the best.