NH Topwater Rat Bite

CTBfishing

I recently had an hour to go fishing today after I finished my online school work. I decided to head to the pond where I caught my PB bass last year (public 50 acre pond). Water temp. was around 45-44 air temp was 29 and it was snowing with a 25 mile per hour wind. Decided to start out with a big 7 inch triple jointed swimbait in rainbow trout color and had no luck so I proceeded to switch to a home painted Imakatsu Gillroid Jr. (first time out with the bait, had an insane action to it). With no luck on that bait either I decided to take out a 6.5 inch black rat wake bait to see what the action was like (also just custom painted it) on the fist cast into the headwind from the bank I reeled the bait slow back towards the bank, and about ten feet away from me a monster smallmouth around 5 pounds came up and smashed the bait, sadly I set the hook instantly on the fish and did't get a connection. As a beginner swimbaiter I honestly don't know how to fish a rat and what gear to use, I was fishing it on straight 30 pound braid with a fast action MH 7 foot rod. Any advice how to increase hook-up ratio with rat type baits?

2 hours ago, CTBfishing said:

I recently had an hour to go fishing today after I finished my online school work. I decided to head to the pond where I caught my PB bass last year (public 50 acre pond). Water temp. was around 45-44 air temp was 29 and it was snowing with a 25 mile per hour wind. Decided to start out with a big 7 inch triple jointed swimbait in rainbow trout color and had no luck so I proceeded to switch to a home painted Imakatsu Gillroid Jr. (first time out with the bait, had an insane action to it). With no luck on that bait either I decided to take out a 6.5 inch black rat wake bait to see what the action was like (also just custom painted it) on the fist cast into the headwind from the bank I reeled the bait slow back towards the bank, and about ten feet away from me a monster smallmouth around 5 pounds came up and smashed the bait, sadly I set the hook instantly on the fish and did't get a connection. As a beginner swimbaiter I honestly don't know how to fish a rat and what gear to use, I was fishing it on straight 30 pound braid with a fast action MH 7 foot rod. Any advice how to increase hook-up ratio with rat type baits?

Not well versed in rats yet but I do fish braid on my bbz topwater. I like stiffer rods so I’ve been using longer mono leaders. That way if you set to early the mono stretches to allow a tiny bit more time than it would on straight braid.  It slows down your hook set a little and lets those trebles grab better. Especially when using a cheaper mono like big game. Haven’t thrown a single fish yet w this method on top. 

if you can, go up to at least 65 lb braid. Lighter braid can cause problems on backlashes plus it’s way easier to tie leaders w the thick stuff

On my rat bites or crawlers, i constantly have to do my best to no set the hook on the blowup. It is SUPER hard!!! Wait for them to take the bait down, you will know. Otherwise you can return to reeling in, if they missed they come back to it sometimes. When you set the hook and the bait goes flying harder to get them to bite again...in my experiences anyways.

Awesome you got a topwater bite already. You are definitely going to want some heavier line and eventually a dedicated big bait rod setup.  Not sure how heavy the rat is that you are using, but I’d hate see you tear up a rod and reel, or cast the bait off due to thin line.  I like 20 and 25 lbs test mono for my rat fishing