Snap or split ring

mofish

Any new glide bait I test by tying direct and also with a snap or split ring. Sometimes the action is better tied direct for wider glides, because that forces you into inhabit of letting it glide on a slack line. I think the snaps and rings are there for a handle retrieve technique.  That's all you need with some glides imo. 

Usually leave it stock, but if bait comes without and I want the extra play I'll start by adding a #4 Decoy Egg Snap (typically fish 2.5-4.5oz baits).

If bait sits 'nose up' I'll switch to #5 owner hypewires and size up until balanced.

If bait sits 'nose down' I'll tie direct (rare).  If direct, always good practice to carefully inspect line tie for any abrasion spots such as paint over-spray or burrs from split rings being put on which is common.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, danthefisherman said:

Snap for me...tying to a split makes me uncomfortable and tying direct kills the action on most baits

I've noticed on the wake baits i've made, tying direct gives me more tail wobble and tying to a split ring makes the front body move more on jointed baits.  The change usually isn't equal though.  What kinda snaps do you use?

5 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

I've noticed on the wake baits i've made, tying direct gives me more tail wobble and tying to a split ring makes the front body move more on jointed baits.  The change usually isn't equal though.  What kinda snaps do you use?

Decoy egg snap!

I use tactical anglers clips on all single and multi jointed baits. I flip all fish 5 lbs and under, never had one open. 

Only baits that don't get a ta clip is soft plastic and jointless baits like a punker 

20200501_231846.jpg